ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some basic Clio info for a new guy

Lotus Elise
Hi People

First thread here, so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

What I want to know about is the Clio 172 Cup, I might be thinking of getting one, The Elise might have to be sold as i'm loosing my company car :(

Anyway, what is special about the Cup, I know its lighter (~80kg right?) but does it have any other goodies above and beyond the normal 172?

This is a bit subjective but what is generally considered the best of the Clio varients, MK1 172, MK2 172, 172 Cup, 182, 182 Cup, 182 Trophy, V6 255 - there are just so many!

If there is anywhere that details this can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Lotus Elise
Cheers mate!

The Elise forums are like a public forum for "which car is best" debates (read argument) on a day to day basis - i'm used to it!

Any ideas where i can get detailed MK2 172 cup info?

Paul

Black/Gold 182
The cup actually has less goodies than the 172 and is cheaper, you'll have to wait for soneone else to find out which ones tho

MK1 172 Lightweight car similar to a Cup but with air con etc
MK2 172 Often refered to as full fat it got a shorter ratio box to help get the say 0-60 speeds as it got a bit heavier.
172 Cup A cut down specification more "hard core" car it has different springs and an adjusted suspension setings lighter wheels it also came in silver and some model wtih aircon.
182 Most come with the Cup suspension packs (dark coloured wheels) different hubs etc lead to a whole different suspension dampers at the front
182 Cup a 182 with a lower spec, no Climate control just air con and no zeons and a lower specification interier.
182 Trophy a 182 CUp but with expensive suspnsion only 500 made and less than 70 left to buy a bit harder ride and I'm not that keen on the toucy rear end on track although it is a superb car.

V6 Mk1 Suspension setup let it down its not bad but you do have to be more careful whereas a 172 can be thrown about more.
V6 255 Expensive a better suspension setup than the Mk1 but just like the Mk1 not that quick mostr 172's would beat one on a trak there touch at the limit with all the big 3.0 at the back.

There is no best and trying to point you towards one car over another is bound to start a moan. However the Mk1 172 and the 182 with cup packs or a Torphy are probably the best.

The cars themselves are very similar though modified suspension on any of the 172's/182's will make them better than any of theof the shelf rest of the range.

My personal choice would be down to what was availiable the 182 i the better car but if there was a cheap 172 I'd get that instead.

What do you intend on doing having a basic fast track day car? or a more equipt car. If its the track car then the Cup with different suspension is superb its the ligtest availiable.

There are some cheap Mk1's though now for £4k or so which make superb value. Then again you can get Cups for £6~7k a full fat for a few hundered more and a car still with a years warently for £8k a 182 is ~£8.5 to 10k. Trophy is £13k or so brand new.

Lotus Elise
Nice reply there edde, Lots for me to think about. The car is going to be a daily drive, my Elise is just not going to be any good for day to day driving. It will more than likely be used on the track, but only 2-3 times per year.

Coming from an Elise, lightweight is key! My Elise currently has 172BHP but only weighs in at approx 750kgs so in the current state of tune is actually faster than a S2 Exige in a straight line.

Being 25 YO the insurance for any 172/182 car is going to be resonable but i'm not sure about the V6.

I don't need a practical car in the sense that I need rear seats, but a roof that dosent leak is a top priority, the lotus is like a tea strainer.

I like the look of the MK2 172 Cup, nice wheels, light, tweaked suspension (can anyone expand on this - are the dampers adjustable, is the car lower, are the spring rates stiffer...?) and the prices for such a car are getting better week by week. Not too keen on the 182 or 182 Cup, there are too many where I live and have become quite common, but that shows how well liked the car is I suppose.

paulwakinshaw said:
The car is going to be a daily drive, my Elise is just not going to be any good for day to day driving. It will more than likely be used on the track, but only 2-3 times per year.

Coming from an Elise, lightweight is key! My Elise currently has 172BHP but only weighs in at approx 750kgs so in the current state of tune is actually faster than a S2 Exige in a straight line.

Being 25 YO the insurance for any 172/182 car is going to be resonable but i'm not sure about the V6.

I don't need a practical car in the sense that I need rear seats, but a roof that dosent leak is a top priority, the lotus is like a tea strainer.

I like the look of the MK2 172 Cup, nice wheels, light, tweaked suspension (can anyone expand on this - are the dampers adjustable, is the car lower, are the spring rates stiffer...?). Not too keen on the 182 or 182 Cup, there are too many where I live and have become quite common, but that shows how well liked the car is I suppose.
The V6 is more of a looks car than track performance and its only a bit of space so for a day to day car a 172/182 is better. The roofs don't leak though.

Dampers are fixed on all the 172/182 cars. Aftermarket ones are availibel which are adjustable.
The 182 got good reviews leading to its popularity.
Suspension chnages are just different springs a different camper etc setup, different offset wheels led to more feedback and lighter wheels also help reduce rotating weight.I'd try a Cup if I were you. You'd probably like that. A full fat is only 90kgs heavier and it includes a spare wheels which I think any Cup should carry personally so the difference is smaller if I owned the car since both would need spares.
The V6 is more epensive to buy (say £13k for a mk1 V6 vs £6k for a Cup) insurance isn't that much different although it depends. Tyres are expensive and don't that long depends how you drive also MPG isn't stunning 25~30mpg I think Vs 30~35 for a Cup.
It might be worth looking at a trophy though just to see it might be better to spend say the £7k extra and buy a car which has a full 3 yr warently and use it on track and sell the Elise.
What sort of work does the Elise have to get 172 hp though?

If your an Elise driver I would say a 172 Cup or a Trophy were for you, there about as close as your ever going to get to the lightweight Elise in a Clio.

Its a matter of taste and what you want rather than whats better, I love my Cup but if I had V6 money then you can bet I would be driving one!