ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some Monaco Love..

Okay, so the Monaco has been a bit neglected over the winter so with the fine weather coming and the milage ticking on for 59k I decided to give it some TLC for the summer.

7310772920_13f9b6642b_z.png

So first up I gave her a good service; oil filter and oil, air & pollen filter, checked coolant/brake/PAS levels, A/C recharged at Kwick-fit and just a good all round inspection.

Winter rubber was still on the 172 alloys, needed new tyres so I managed to pick up some Turinis on here with almost new (but budget) tyres.

While I had the wheels off I had a wee inspection on brakes, driveshafts, suspension etc and fould a couple of wee issues that will need fixed ASAP.

First one on the OSF, the engine bay liner around the cambelt had slipped off and cut through the boot on the driveshaft :(
I've removed the liner for now, will have to find a screw/clip to get it refitted. I'm not sure if I can get a new boot for it or maybe worth replacing the whole driveshaft if it's done near 60k already and i have to remove it anyway to get the boot on?

7310783562_1547328e71_z.png

7310790508_cba4dfdfa6_z.png

7310787668_384f7bc136_z.png

Onto the NSF, an even biggger problems round here, first off there is no inner boot on the driveshaft. I'm sure there used to be one on there.
and then i see something sitting perched on the lower spring mount on the strut...

7310792768_e649a540d4_z.png

God knows when that broke off, or how it managed to stay sat in there, or how the broken spring jumped into place itself with no obvious handling or ride-height issues. It might even have been in there during the MOT 6 months ago!
So maybe time for 2 new driveshafts and some sportlines ;)

After all that I got the turinis on. When the wheels arrived they were in a bit of a state to be honest, I knew the were kerbed but there was a lot more paint bubbling and peeling than I expected. look much better after a clean but full refurb will be needed to get them up to standard.
Tyres are EP Acellera Delta. Plenty tread on them and they seem to be ok in the dry, not tried them in the wet yet.

Definitely a big improvement on the boggo 172 wheels though.

7310797318_eaf3b80ac1_z.png

Next up new numberplates fron and rear, Front is 520x90 from fancyplates.

Before and after:
7310815360_20aec237a2_z.png

7310817896_14e461a848_z.png

Then some LED sidelights
7310820052_27f3a04b8d_z.png

7310828762_d7107318f5_z.png

And some headlight TLC, using 800/1200/2000 wet & dry, Finished with DA polisher and some 3m FCP.
7310826616_c077ea5fd6_z.png

7310830916_d1083490ef_z.png

7310837806_a81ec5b4a3_z.png

7310835896_84c8d2e53f_z.png

Up next in the near future wil be some paint correction detail, and then further off when I get some cash returned from the thieving student loans company i'll be getting some passenger door dents repaired and the turinis fully refurbed.
Also need to fit the Goodridge braided brake lines i've had sitting round for months and change the brake fluid at the same time, need to wait until I get a helper for that.

Thanks for reading! :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, just trying to get her looking tidy.

Spent some time removing scratches from the bonnet today with the DAS6 DA. I'd swear the previous owner used a Scotch pad to wipe off the bird poo.

Got plenty of stone chips to cover up on there too. Will need to get the touch up kit for them but god knows how you tackle so many small chips. Looks like the milky way.

BG 182
looking good bud, maybe if theres too many chips just pay for the bonnet to be painted? however the bumper will prob want he same treatment if bonnet has chips. im in the same boat

Replaced both driveshafts this week with Renault refurbished-exchange ones.
My sportlines arrived from Chris205 too so I got them on while I was at it.

Sorry I forgot to take pics for most of it so here are a couple I did manage.

Jacked up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914176.280709.jpg

Old and new o/s shaft.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914263.344468.jpg

Dust seal to be swapped over.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914326.207616.jpg

Old and new n/s shaft.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914374.573740.jpg

Old shocks off ready for sportlining.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914441.790439.jpg

Refilling gearbox oil. Got a mouthfull of this stuff when peeling off the lid. it does not taste good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914532.767757.jpg

'nose down' stance ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914577.509916.jpg

Ride height with sportlines on. Very little difference to standard right now but might settle out over the next week. I'll take some more measurements then to compare before/after. Certainly rides the potholes much better!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342914744.647333.jpg

Looking good. What comma box oil did you go for 75w80 mineral or the 75w90 synth?

I went for 75w80 mineral. I couldn't find and 75w80 synth locally so this will do for now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342945273.701398.jpg

I'm considering ordering up some tranself 75w80 NFJ and replacing it for peace of mind, I'm not sure if the comma mineral stuff is any good for the box.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ooooh did i make the right decision for a flamer over a monaco!!?

Lovely matey :)

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I love Monacos and yours looks nice although i preferred it with the standard 172 wheels on.

When you change your gearbox oil do you drain the old stuff out, or did you just top it up.

Sam!

I love Monacos and yours looks nice although i preferred it with the standard 172 wheels on.

When you change your gearbox oil do you drain the old stuff out, or did you just top it up.

Sam!

I was changing both driveshafts so you loose the gearbox oil when taking out the n/s one.
I drained it first to save the mess then refilled it after i was done with 3l of oil using a funnel attached to a handy piece of brake pipe I found in the shed, perfect length with a nice bend on the end.

I did manage to pop the clutch cable out of the linkage while refilling it though, confused the hell out of me when I went to move the car.

The standard 172s have my winter tyres on them so they will be back on in a few months. Although I'm not even sure why I bothered removing them with the weather we've been having.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I was changing both driveshafts so you loose the gearbox oil when taking out the n/s one.
I drained it first to save the mess then refilled it after i was done with 3l of oil using a funnel attached to a handy piece of brake pipe I found in the shed, perfect length with a nice bend on the end.

I did manage to pop the clutch cable out of the linkage while refilling it though, confused the hell out of me when I went to move the car.

The standard 172s have my winter tyres on them so they will be back on in a few months. Although I'm not even sure why I bothered removing them with the weather we've been having.

Ha. Ive never thought about changing it to be honest. Didnt really know you had to.

I thought it would always be winter in scotland. ;)

Sweet car mate. Same colour as mine :D

How easy was it to replace the bulbs?

Cheers mate. Sidelights are okay to change, just a wee bit fiddly to get your hand in the back.

Just need to pull the rubber cap off and gently tug in the wire to get the sidelight holder out to swap them over.

Cup 172
What did you use on your lights mate? - Scratch X? - wish my lights looked this good haha, i have a monaco wasn't to keen at first but love it now its clean :)

I used progressively finer wet&dry, 800, 1200 then 2000 grit. I then polished out the sanding marks with some 3m FastCutPlus compound on a yellow hex pad on the DA polisher.

There are a few ways to do it though, have a search and you'll find some guides.

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
When I finally get a Sport, it's gunna be a Monaco. Yours is lovely mate.

Looks nice, Monaco is my favourite colour for a phase 2. Your LED lights don't look very bright though, should have got some 20smd ones imo.
Also prefer the standard rims :eek: