ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some sort of rattling/rumble of the exhaust or engine

Renault Clio Alize
Hi everyone. I have yet another problem with my clio. I have had her for nearly 3 yes in January 2018 and every since I have owned her she has had this vibration noise. To start with it was only minor. Now it's louder and more frequent. It only happens if your in to much of a high gear at a low speed. So for one example, if I'm just below or on 30 in fifth, she really rumbles. Honestly it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay but there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of it. The engine moves like normal on revs, exhaust is apparently in excellent condition. New rear box about a year ago. Cat and centre doesn't knock when banged and as far as in away there is nothing touch it at all. I have no idea what to do. It sounds like I'm driving a box of rumbling bolts

I'm going to take her to my Tyre and exhaust place later today so I can actually have a good look my self but if the experts can't find anything wrong then how am I?

Anyone have any ideas at all??

Thanks

Renault Clio Alize
I was using that as an example. She's a petrol and when I had her she would drop to around 20 in 5 so I know she is ok and can handle it but this noise has got me concerned

Renault Clio Alize
It isn't that type of noise. The noise is like something is vibrating. And even when I pull away in 1st she does it too and don't say I need a new clutch as I already have a new one :)

Maybe an engine mount or my exhaust is to tight so when I rev and change gears it's pulling? She doesn't do it on idle though.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't know what you're problem is , it could be umpteen things . Without hearing / seeing what it's like it'll be pretty hard to diagnose from your description .
As for doing 30mph in 5th gear , my 182 does that easily on the flat without feeling like it's going to stall.

Renault Clio Alize
Nope no noise at all, she is silent until I'm driving her and changing gears. Although, my driveway has a slight hill to it so when I go up in first gear she does make the noise then. I could probably record the noise but how do I upload it as video?

Like I said, I'm taking it to the exhaust place again today so can anyone think of stuff to look out for that could be causing this noise?

Renault Clio Alize
Same as my dad's, he has a 1.2 16v 2003 clio ph2 and he does 20 in 5th and she is absolutely fine. My is a 1.4 alize 1999 clio ph1

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nope no noise at all, she is silent until I'm driving her and changing gears. Although, my driveway has a slight hill to it so when I go up in first gear she does make the noise then. I could probably record the noise but how do I upload it as video?

Like I said, I'm taking it to the exhaust place again today so can anyone think of stuff to look out for that could be causing this noise?
Upload it to youtube then link it on here .

Renault Clio Alize
I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow with the sound. Might not be to clear tho as I'll have to drive the car to make the noise.

I took her to my local exhaust place and basically I had a blow in the centre clamp and the clamp was hanging off and the exhaust was twisted slightly so bumping underneath the car. He fixed it and I thought "yay I'm going to have a silent car again" but nope, it's still there. No heat shield lose only the rear one above the rear silencer but it isn't lose enough to vibrate but I'll be removing it tomorrow as a test. If it does or doesn't work then I'll be putting it back on right.

So any other suggestions?? Engine mounts? Lose or broken joints? I dunno, anything that could make sense I'll have a look.