ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Someone tried to break into my 197

Someone tried to break into the 197 last night...b*stards...came out this morning and the trim surrounding the lock was missing, lock damaged and the handle sticking out. Luckily the handle pushed back in and the remote entry sensor and manual lock still work. No damage to the rest of the car either thank god.

Strange one as it's in a gated residential car park that requires a fob for entry and exit....looks like they've just targeted my car specifically as no-one elses car has been touched - which obviously makes me a bit nervous. There was nothing on show and nothing is left in the car overnight at all which again makes me think they were after the car rather than the contents...

How easy is the 197 to take without the key? Just wondering if it's worth me getting any other deterrents.

Also does anyone know where I can replace the bit of plastic trim that covers the manual lock on the passenger door - will the dealers be able to order this in?

Last edited:
  Nimbus Megane R26
Would have thought with it being a modern car it was impossible to take without the key? Only way would be to jack it up at the rear and tow it off i think?

Listerine & Poledo
one of those nasty steering-wheel locks might help.

At least it's a visual deterent, they evidently dont have skillz so a simple iron bar would probably have them running for the hills.

Twingo GT
The car has an immobiliser anyway that doesn't de-activate without the key be present so not sure what this would do?

Yeah thats very true :) im thinking of an old fashion stylee :)
yeah one of those nasty steering locks could be a good one.

one of those nasty steering-wheel locks might help.

At least it's a visual deterent, they evidently dont have skillz so a simple iron bar would probably have them running for the hills.

I did consider this, though the more I think about it - they would have to de-activate the immobilser and then get the car past two locked iron gates whilst the alarm was going off...so maybe they just thought there might be soemthing in it given what car it is.

The thing that's annoying is that you can't even see the car from the street - they would have had to walk up the drive then pick my car...out of all 20 that are in there. My Audi was parked next to it and they didn't even touch that. Maybe they thought the Clio would be easier to get into.

Twingo GT
I did consider this, though the more I think about it - they would have to de-activate the immobilser and then get the car past two locked iron gates whilst the alarm was going off...so maybe they just thought there might be soemthing in it given what car it is.

The thing that's annoying is that you can't even see the car from the street - they would have had to walk up the drive then pick my car...out of all 20 that are in there. My Audi was parked next to it and they didn't even touch that. Maybe they thought the Clio would be easier to get into.

Possibly, sum1 got it in for you?? pissed anyone off recently?

Possibly, sum1 got it in for you?? pissed anyone off recently?

lol no I just go to work and come home these days haha.

If this was the case though they would have damaged the car rather than try to get into it I'd imagine. Oh well - just have to chalk it up to bad luck really.

I've just reported it to Police.

Nimbus Megane R26
You got anything like an ipod cable on show or anything? They may see something like that and presume you've put your ipod in the glovebox. Anything like that. Doesnt sound like they want your car to me..

Hope this is the end of it anyways pal..fecking scum whoever tried and failed.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
If they were after the ipod etc then they would just put the window in!
If you go for a steering lock don't go for anything other than the full wheel lock. The rest are a waste of your time (not the thief) and money.

Clio 1970000000
I don't know, I haven't tried it. My understanding is if you don't have the key and try to force the locks, they are disconnected from the handle (ie deadlocked). I hope I'm right about this.

Milltek'd clio 182
personally what i would do is leave it within view of your window an i would sit up all saturday night an wait for the c***ts, Because i think they will come back an try again, but does seem strange when your parked in a place that needs a key fob, could it be some one internally that you have noticed to look abit dodgey, an would reckon his pals are involvd in the process

personally what i would do is leave it within view of your window an i would sit up all saturday night an wait for the c***ts, Because i think they will come back an try again, but does seem strange when your parked in a place that needs a key fob, could it be some one internally that you have noticed to look abit dodgey, an would reckon his pals are involvd in the process

I sat up for while last night lol - all was fine this morning.

I don't think it would be soemone who lives in the building - it's not cheap to live here and it's a pretty nice area. You never know though I suppose. There's a travelling fair about 1/4 mile up the road just picthed up this week so my money is on them tbh. May sound stereotypcial but from past experience they always seem to bring trouble...

My car was parked closest to the gate, so chances are they've just climbed up the wall near the gate and gone for the first car they've come to. Seems strange that they'd walk past about 10 cars parked on the street outside though and then not try any other cars after failing with mine.

Oh well.

Ph1 Williams No: 112
Definitely invest in a clamp, as it would visually just put someone off even trying to tow it away; maybe compared to the other cars as you say without visual deterrents.

they dont have skillz so an iron bar would have them running for the hills.
Also i couldnt help but quote this slightly edited, rhyming skillz.

1.2 16v clio
Get an aftermarket alarm like a clifford installed provides a visual deterrent and comes with blackjacks (you have to enter in a pin before you can drive otherwise fuel cuts off and car stops) making it time consuming to steal is half the battle won

focus st3
I used to work with ex con car thieves and had a subaru at the time.They said the best deterent were the disc locks that covered the steering wheel.They said it wasn't worth the hassle trying to get one of them things off.

Well to be fair it would be pretty difficult for them to take it - they'd have to break in and get around the immobiliser whilst the alarm was going off and then they'd have to somehow get past two big iron gates that are only opened with access fob...

I may invest in a steering wheel lock though - one of the circular ones like you suggest.

When you consider that it would be near impossible to drive away with plus the fact there was absolutely nothing in the car to steal, I can't believe they tried to break in to be honest.