ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something quicker...

Ive been really pleased with my car so far, and Id even go as far as saying that Ive been pleased with the performance considering its a 1.2 8v! (Havent really driven much else though!)

Thing is, I really want something with more umph! Only limiting factor is insurance...

What would you say is worth considering? Of course it must be a Clio...

Cheers

Charlie

Er.. I know people say "its only a 1.2.." but mines the same, but like, its ok.. considering.. best thing is to find some country lanes.. itll have umph round corners cus they handle mint!

You could try Valver.. but, then, its a big jump in insurance.. so..

valver/williams/cup/172

but as you say its all about the insurence on the thing aswell,

or a 1.6 clio, prob wont cost a load as its a warm hatch and not a hot one like the others.

The 1.4 16v is a fair bit nippier than the 1.2 8v. Its still a fairly low insurance group, but has around 98bhp. I had one and loved it. I only got rid of it so I could get a 172.

Clio RSi? Not sure on the ins group but got to be better than Clio 16v (which isnt high for what it is) and they are pretty nippy

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

stay with renault but get a diff model i.e a 5 gtt, or go for a jap car.

u dont realise how slow they r till u change them for something faster. get something to powerful and the insurance will be stupid, i know as im just changing my 1.2 16v clio for a mr2 and with 6yrs no claims, im still getting quotes of £1200+

If u change it check the insurance 1st

the RSI is frightningly similar to the 16v, just that most 16vs wont admit it, however thats still going to be a huge jump in insurance...

stick with what you have until you can afford what you want i reckon

Titanium 182

just get a valver

it wont disapoint you

if your after a fast car and are making the change its all costly so u might as well get something to make it worth while :D

id get a quote on the rsi and the valver, then you can see how different they are,

i personally would go for the 16v but then i am bias

<<<<<:D

Mk1 1.4rt - with cams,gasflowed head and chip. Cheap to insure and no need to mention the mods (youre not gonna see them anyway)

Should be quick enough and cheap enough for ya!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Id get a 16v on TPF&T insurance personally.Ive been paying stupid insurance ever since I got my licence back, its worth it every time I go for a blast.

Lionel Richie

chazza, you can take mine for a spin next time we meet to see if the 1.2 8V to 16V "leap in performance" is worth it lol!!!!

(remeber, my 1.2 is faster than cups!!:devilish:)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 18 November 2003

chazza, you can take mine for a spin next time we meet to see if the 1.2 8V to 16V "leap in performance" is worth it lol!!!!

(remeber, my 1.2 is faster than cups!!:devilish:)
no ure balls are bigger than yozzas when it come to corners - u nutter;)

Have you thought about keeping your car giving it stiffer suspension (faster around corners) and uprated brakes (later braking). you car will feel faster, oh yeah a loud exhaust to put a smile on your face as well. :D

oh yeah...sorry i forgot! :oops: yeah well have to go for a spin some time -- that would be cool!

Biggy - ive lowered mine 60mm so far and is plenty stiff enough. i really need coilovers though!

Remember that insurance groups mainly refelect the situation when a car is new and take into account things like parts prices/likely depreciation as a very large component.

The RSi is an informed choice, but hardly worth it over a 16V. Remember that the 16V was also the homologation car for Renaultsports Group A/N WRC campaign (before the Williams) and comes with a lot more than simply 27bhp and a higher insurance tag than the RSi. Theres obviously the engine, cooled and moulded over by that bonnet bulge; much wider tracks and totally revised suspension, covered by the fat arches and bigger bumpers; and then theres also the seats, dash and eveything else that makes them damn sexy.

You can debate the 0-60 all you like, but its a crude measure and remember that a Williams is only fractionally quicker than a 16V to 60 anyway. 7.7 (16V) plays 8.9 (RSi) - but then an RT is about 10 secs...maybe we should all get one of them instead! Despite what people say, the Valver is also a torqey motor - it gets a peak at 2-3000rpm, but stays flat until 5000rpm when all the fireworks start.

Yes I know, and Id love a valver. When I rang the insurance they said they couldnt insure me until I had a NCB (as the policy was in my old mans name for the last year). The valver is classed as a "high-risk" vehicle, and to be honest its fair enough. I wouldnt insure an 18 year old in a valver if I owned an insurance company!

I suppose I could try other insurance companies. Got a letter through advertising Norwich Union, promising me a brilliant quote for young drivers.

Fred - you going to the PGAC thing? Have a quick raz about there?!

Cheers
Charlie

Ive got a Mk2 1.2 8v RT. Its a nice little motor. And as for the GTT conversion - Im still at school so dont have time to make the £3k necessary! Would be nice though. Has anyone put a GTT into a Mk2 yet?