ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony Alpha 300

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Any one got one or know anything about them? The guy in jessops couldn't rate them enough for a begginer camera and its one of the cheapest DSLR's that they sell. Can also get a f**k off zoom lens for half price with it aswell. £329 for the cam and £129 for a something - 700 lense (i think). He also said something about it does macros in the body rather than the lense :S Confused me and didn't want to ask what he ment. Any one know anything about them?

/Luke :eek:

Cupra
Nice cameras with good reviews. Limited selection of lenses and expensive ones at that. If you are only interested in the basic kit, there is nothing wrong with getting one. If you are going to move up the ladder in the future, then you would be better off with a Nikon or Canon. IMHO.

Oil Burner
Personally i rate sony up there with canon and nikon, however alot of this forum will disagree (but they are all nikon lovers.... so cant help being wrong)

The Sonys use built in image stabilisation whereas canon and nikon use lense stabilisation.

(image stabilisation/vibration reduction helps you take better pics when your pissed or cold by stopping camera shake)

The advantage of having it built in: You dont have to pay extra for stabilised lenses, and non stabilised lenses like sigma are stabilised.

The disadvantage: You cannot see the effect the stabilisation is having on the image as it happens (not really a big deal), You cant set a panning stabilisation.... but this doesnt seem to cause a problem. I read that lense stabilisation is more effective than in body.... but this may be incorrect.

Basically what it all comes down to is this:

Will you be buying any other kit/lenses or trying to make this a serious hobby.

The main argument against sony is that if you decide to make it a hobby, there are not as many lenses on ebay etc... that you can snap up for next to nothing, unlike canon/nikon. There are a full range of Sigma lenses now in minolta fit, and old AF minolta lenses fit, and sony glass is pretty well priced (particularly the expensive stuff)

If you just want an SLR and dont think you want to become a pro photographer anytime soon, dont worry, its a great camera.

Just make sure you look at the Canon and Nikon offerings too, get a feel for them see what you like.

This is someone i knows' flickr, he shoots sony and produces some pretty stunning images. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulgenge/

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Personally i rate sony up there with canon and nikon, however alot of this forum will disagree (but they are all nikon lovers.... so cant help being wrong)

The Sonys use built in image stabilisation whereas canon and nikon use lense stabilisation.

(image stabilisation/vibration reduction helps you take better pics when your pissed or cold by stopping camera shake)

The advantage of having it built in: You dont have to pay extra for stabilised lenses, and non stabilised lenses like sigma are stabilised.

The disadvantage: You cannot see the effect the stabilisation is having on the image as it happens (not really a big deal), You cant set a panning stabilisation.... but this doesnt seem to cause a problem. I read that lense stabilisation is more effective than in body.... but this may be incorrect.

Basically what it all comes down to is this:

Will you be buying any other kit/lenses or trying to make this a serious hobby.

The main argument against sony is that if you decide to make it a hobby, there are not as many lenses on ebay etc... that you can snap up for next to nothing, unlike canon/nikon. There are a full range of Sigma lenses now in minolta fit, and old AF minolta lenses fit, and sony glass is pretty well priced (particularly the expensive stuff)

If you just want an SLR and dont think you want to become a pro photographer anytime soon, dont worry, its a great camera.

Just make sure you look at the Canon and Nikon offerings too, get a feel for them see what you like.

This is someone i knows' flickr, he shoots sony and produces some pretty stunning images. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulgenge/

Thanks man really helpfull..

Just fucked my head up a bit now.

Do i go for nikon d60/canon eos 450d or sony alpha :S

FFS.

And cheers Ian - those pics are ace

Oil Burner
With consumer models of the nikons you are limited to af-s lenses, so probably even less lenses than sony/minolta fit.

I think the D90 is the lowest model that can use non AF-s lenses.

The Canon cameras will simply work with any digital eos fit lens.

My money would be on the sony.

Im considering shifting to sony on all my kit (from canon)

Just to mess with your head even more lol.

Its a bit of a minefield

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I dont think im going to go nikon now...

I think i will just go into the shop and play with a sony and a canon an see which i like best/which i can get a good price on...

Would someone mind explaining to me what lense number things mean? eg the kit lense with this is 18-70mm. WTF?

And what are macro shots :eek:

Thank you for your replies dunganick btw :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
No he means that the 5D is better than the 50D, which is turn in better than the 500D, which itself is better than the 1000D. The less digits the better basically. The 450D is the upgrade to the 350D (with the 400D being released between them). This link explains the Canon range.

The 18-70mm refers to the lens focal length. If you consider what you see through your eyes as being roughly 80mm then a 160mm focal length will make things appear twice as big. It's not quite that simple, but hopefully that makes it a bit clearer. If you need to understand about aperture (the 'f' numbers) and anything else about lenses it's worth reading ukaskews guide on lenses.