ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound Card Not Found after Windows Install! Help??

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello all!

I have been fixing my brother-in-laws PC and ended up re-installing Windows XP off a disc! FOund that the sound was not working afterwards!

Done a Berlarc scan and couldnt find the soundcard on there and also ran a DriverScan and couldnt find anything on that!!

Any ideas???

I have no idea what the internal soundcard is! It was working fine before installing Windows...

Many Thanks!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Check the motherboard make and model as they are usually inbuilt.

Then download the correct driver from the manufacturers website.

It may be a Realtek driver as they are pretty common.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Check the motherboard make and model as they are usually inbuilt.

Then download the correct driver from the manufacturers website.

It may be a Realtek driver as they are pretty common.

+1

Their ALC codecs are as common as muck with motherboard manufacturers.

If you take the case side off, normally between the PCI slots is the motherboard model number. It's rare that you can't find it, though rebranded motherboards for PC such as Packard Bell ones are a nightmare to match up. They can be made by MSI - have an MSI-type model number, but MSI's own website won't even recognise it. :(

D.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate
Install any of the ActiveX controls it prompts you with.
Choose "Custom".
After the scan, click on the "Device Drivers" link on the left hand side.
More often than not, it'll have found any missing drivers for you.
Put a tick in the box next to any you need, or all of them.
Click "Install now"
Agree to the EULA. Your driver(s) will be installed.

And install everything else while you're there. Unpatched OS' FTL.

Better than yours. C*nt.
The most obvious one to me is to install XP SP3 - that'll install UAA support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Audio_Architecture

In 2004, Microsoft provided the first version of UAA as an update to Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003, but is only available by contacting Microsoft support directly.[2] However, almost all manufacturer supplied drivers contain the UAA class driver. Windows XP Service Pack 3 also includes the updated driver.
In Windows Vista, the Windows Logo program requirements state that any machine shipped with Vista must include a UAA-compliant audio device that works without additional drivers.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Thank you for all the help!!!

Tried going to windows update and that didnt do the trick. Tried finding hardware with all sorts of programs and that hasnt done the trick. Going to install Service Pack 3 now and see if that does the trick!!!

Thanks!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok, it wont let me install SP3 for god knows what reason!

This is doing my head in!

Will it help if I scan for hardware using a link provided to me above and post the results?

Scirocco GT 2.0
Yeah

Extract PCI32.zip to C:\pci32

Then CMD:

C:

then

cd \pci32

then

pci32 > report.txt that will save a document in C:\pci32 listing all hardware

Scirocco GT 2.0
I get to c:\pci32> but cant get the report.txt command to do anything

??? :(

Are you putting the spaces in?

It should be c:\pci32 > report.txt and it won't notify you of anything, it just plonks the report.txt in the c:\pci32 folder

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday
I get to c:\pci32> prompt

the I type report.txt

and then I type report.txt with a space in front of it.

No Luck on both.

So when im on CMD I type cd c:\

c:\cd pci32

c:\pci32>

thats how we stand right now :(

Better than yours. C*nt.
No no no!

Type 'pci32 > report.txt'.

Report.txt won't exist until the pci32 executable creates it.

But as I said, unless you can get either the Universal Audio Architecture patch from Realtek drivers, or your systems manufacturer, or install Service Pack 3, then no matter what s**t you do with that, the sound isn't going to work.

Edit - link from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ob-47284-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1842155

THEN you have to install your sound card drivers, which may even be available from Windows Update.