ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers with AST's

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Afternoon All,

With my AST's fitted and set up correctly I now want to address my spacers up front.

I'm currently running 20mm H&R wheel spacers (bolt to hub) however I'm moving over to a stud conversion and wanted to know what spacers people are running with a similar set up. Ideally I would like the smallest spacer possible.

I running AST 4100's with AST top mounts and 2118's in ET38 with a 195 wide tyre. I'm unable to run without spacers as the tyre rub on the coilover.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Why do they rub on the coilovers?

My tyres were close to my H&R's with ET43 2118's but they never touched. I did run a 5mm spacer just in case though.

That was with -2deg camber with camber bolts.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I’m running AST 5100. I have 16mm spacers using et43 on OZ F1 and TD PR 1.2 on et38. Neg camber of -2.8deg with hub nut conversion. No rubbing with or without spacers.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I have 3 sets of speedline 2118’s. All different offset. 38, 40 and 43. None of them rub on the coilover ??‍♂️

I don’t know if it’s placebo effect but I’ve tried spacers on mine testing back to back and I find the car handles worse with 16mm spacers. Seems to push on more

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I run 5mm spacers with my ET35 wheels. So you would effectively only need an 8mm spacer with those wheels to be at the same position as me.

Thanks @Martin.

Why do they rub on the coilovers?

My tyres were close to my H&R's with ET43 2118's but they never touched. I did run a 5mm spacer just in case though.

That was with -2deg camber with camber bolts.

They definitely rub on the Coilovers. I don't know why...a friend suggested I actually measure the offset of my wheels.

I’m running AST 5100. I have 16mm spacers using et43 on OZ F1 and TD PR 1.2 on et38. Neg camber of -2.8deg with hub nut conversion. No rubbing with or without spacers.

As above, without the spacers it'll definitely rub. It's even on both sides also.

I have 3 sets of speedline 2118’s. All different offset. 38, 40 and 43. None of them rub on the coilover ??‍♂️

I don’t know if it’s placebo effect but I’ve tried spacers on mine testing back to back and I find the car handles worse with 16mm spacers. Seems to push on more

Ideally I don't want to run spacers but as the tyres catch on the coilover (running 195's) I have no option!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Weird that.

How much camber are you running?

Around 2.8 however I have caster set to max.

How do slip on spacers work in regards to the wheel sitting on the hub. in my head if I run a 8mm space I've removed 8mm of room on the hub?

Sorry for the potential stupid question!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Around 2.8 however I have caster set to max.

How do slip on spacers work in regards to the wheel sitting on the hub. in my head if I run a 8mm space I've removed 8mm of room on the hub?

Sorry for the potential stupid question!

There needs to be some of the hub left showing for the wheel to locate on. If not you'd need hubcentric spacers which start at about 15mm.

Get a 10mm flat spacer, that will slide right over your studs and still leave a few mm for the wheel to locate on. Then once you've torqued the wheels up criss crossed all will be fine anyway.