ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spare wheel alternative?

Megane 225+
Just thinking

Plenty of weight reduction talk around at the mo.

Would I notice the difference in ditching my spare form the boot with the jack & tools?

What alternatives do people carry if any?

Or would I miss that extra downforce?!!

Black/Gold 182
you could go like the 182s and get some inflator foam. Personally I have a 182 and just bought a spare from a scrappy for long journeys

Black/Gold 182
actually I got a full alloy from a 182 (a write off). It's a bit scuffed but has a decent tyre and was £110 delivered. Don't halfords sell inflator foam?

80MPG BEEZA
i think i may go down the inflator foam root as i cudnt get the car jacked up properly to change a wheel at the side of the road anyway so may aswell lose some weight!

TVR Cerbera
The 172 cup comes with 2 cans of tyre foam, no spare wheel but all the tools to change it with! so i saved some more weight and the jack lives in the shed!

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I mean mine came with a spare standard alloy. I meant is that the norm rather than a spare steel wheel?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
IMO you will not notice any difference unless you are a racing driver and on the limit all the time?
also if you had a flat on the m-way and you was 300 miles from home would you want to drive all that way at 30mph?
just after i had my 182 i was on the way to a rally in wales and i hit a raised drain and it split the sidewall of my tyre the tyre foam would not fix it and it ruined the whole day had to brought back home by transporter i was lucky i was in a area where i could get a mobile phone signal as well or i would have been walking a long way.
sorry to go on but it is somthing to think about, I always carry a space saver spare in my boot now

Black/Gold 182
where did you get a space saver from MC? I wanted one but didn't know where to get one to fit hence I went for the full alloy

Megane Mk4
I've found that its a pain in the ass not having a spare wheel in mine (182 by the way)

The foam that came with the car was crap and, it only seems good if its a nail or similar thats gone through the tyre. If you've got a gash in the tyre thats when you've got problems as the foam just seeps out for the fun of it..

If you want weight reduction, buy a space-saver, but from past experience I'd suggest you dont go without a spare. It's a feckin nightmare :(