ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark plugs are bloody tight!

R35 GTR
I think my plugs are a little tight, using a t handled spark plug remover they wont budge. Is this normal? I wasnt giving it everything as I dont want to strip a thread.

Anyone know if I should just give it more welly?

53 Clio's & counting
you don't get any real leverage with a T handled one mate, use a ratchet, and turn gentle im sure they will come out

R35 GTR
hmmm, well wish me luck. Was trying to do my compression test argghhh. Why do things take so long with clios?

53 Clio's & counting
is yours low comp mate? as thats a little low i would imagine for normal comp ratio, though if all 4 are around that then its not a bad thing

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Always a bit sketchy when they don't come out nice and free, you feel that something is gonna go.

R35 GTR
is yours low comp mate? as thats a little low i would imagine for normal comp ratio, though if all 4 are around that then its not a bad thing

done a bit of research and a good value is 17 x the compression ration.

Mine are 8.5:1 and getting 150psi on all 4 cyclinders. which gives me 17.7 x 8.5 , so pretty much spot on. Plus they are all reading identical.

I did manage to strip a thread, but it was only on the lower inlet manifold. The plenum has been on and off so many times i am not surprised tbh.

Albi Blue RS 200
16mm buddy!

No, it's 10mm?

Anyway yea use a socket wrench to remove plugs and then to fit new ones I always use the T bar and just nip them up past finger tight. Always the way I've done it never had a problem. Just have to be extra careful with stuff like this. Glad they dont need doing often tbh.

330Ci Clubsport
cordless impact gun gets them in nice and tight ;)

j/k, ratchet for me too and when tightening I tighten by hand then put the ratchet on and give a little nip.

330Ci Clubsport
never torqued a spark plug in my life to be fair. hand tighten plus a nip has always worked well enough.

Albi Blue RS 200
25nm for spark plugs on them, its shocking how many people don't torque them

Why, finger tight and then 1/16th of a turn is normally enough.

Just go by finger tight and then nip it up, always the way I've done it for years.

So long as the person doing it isn't a numpty and keeps tightening and tightening most get by without a torque wrench.

Lionel Richie
my own cars, whatever, customers get the torque treatment, preferably with them stood next to me while i do it, RS clios have a habit of blowing plugs out the head, you can see why!

the torque settings are there, so i use them!

Mk2 172
I think my plugs are a little tight, using a t handled spark plug remover they wont budge. Is this normal? I wasnt giving it everything as I dont want to strip a thread.

Anyone know if I should just give it more welly?

get the car red hot then try undoing them :)

Albi Blue RS 200
my own cars, whatever, customers get the torque treatment, preferably with them stood next to me while i do it, RS clios have a habit of blowing plugs out the head, you can see why!

the torque settings are there, so i use them!

What's the reason for them being blown out of the head?

Too loose?

Albi Blue RS 200
Surely you'd have to be a complete numpty to gorilla plugs in and the same goes for leaving them too loose, I think that if you've done a fair few plug changes in your time you know the acceptable amount of torque to use without over doing it?

I can see where you're coming from though Fred it is good practice to torque them in

Lionel Richie
some of the s**t i've had to do to get them out is unbelievable, breaker bar for example! (not a clio)

as you say, an experienced mechanic/spanner twiddler will be fine, its the "my mate dave" type jobs that do it!

Albi Blue RS 200
Yup I had a b**ch of a plug in mine on Cyl 4, surprising considering the previous owner had it done at an Indy they had obviously got some sort of bodybuilder to thug them in.

Megane 225
No, it's 10mm?

Anyway yea use a socket wrench to remove plugs and then to fit new ones I always use the T bar and just nip them up past finger tight. Always the way I've done it never had a problem. Just have to be extra careful with stuff like this. Glad they dont need doing often tbh.

Plugs are def 16mm! The manifold bolts are 10mm!

330Ci Clubsport
spark plug sockets are numbered differently for some reason. so a 16mm regular socket might work but if you go buy a spark plug socket (well worth it as they hold the plug in place while lowering it in) it will be a 10mm one.

Albi Blue RS 200
spark plug sockets are numbered differently for some reason. so a 16mm regular socket might work but if you go buy a spark plug socket (well worth it as they hold the plug in place while lowering it in) it will be a 10mm one.

Yep!

You need a 10mm Spark plug Wrench or Socket.

ITB'd MK1

sparkplug sockets are sized strange. They're 5/8 technically too, not 16mm

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Renault have actualy sent us a spark plug socket which has the correct preloaded torque setting, i still havent used it.

ValverInBits
done a bit of research and a good value is 17 x the compression ration.

Mine are 8.5:1 and getting 150psi on all 4 cyclinders. which gives me 17.7 x 8.5 , so pretty much spot on. Plus they are all reading identical.

I did manage to strip a thread, but it was only on the lower inlet manifold. The plenum has been on and off so many times i am not surprised tbh.

HOLD UP

14.695949 x 8.5
off the top of my head

fankyou and goodnight.

ValverInBits
what are you talking about? I am confused?:S

you are saying multiply the compression ratio by a conversion to get a figure in PSI

1 atmosphere is 14.695949 PSI
you have 8.5 compressed into 1. That makes 8.5 atmospheres (or 8.61 bar OR 124.92 PSI)

But then that's absolute pressure. So you want to minus 1 atmosphere to get a PSI gauge pressure reading

=110.22 Psi
meaning 150psi is very good

Unless I've missed something. I've had a couple of beers....

Edit: have I missed the point here ....lol
edit: think I have....why have you used 17.7

Last edited:
  R35 GTR
compression ratio is independent of units. 1 whatever is compressed into 8.5 whatevers.

I have been researching a little into what compression you should get based on theoretical data and my figures are in the right area. plus they are all identical.

ValverInBits
I don't get the 17.7 multiplier tho?? you said compression ratio multiplied by 17?

that's what threw me. thought it was a typo for 14.7. Should really keep my ideas to myself! lol

R35 GTR
I don't get the 17.7 multiplier tho?? you said compression ratio multiplied by 17?

that's what threw me. thought it was a typo for 14.7. Should really keep my ideas to myself! lol

14.7 would be ok if the system was a perfect system with only pressure change , but there are loads of other factors that give you a higher pressure than you would expect.

ITB'd MK1
ah yeah. Temperature changes under pressure etc.
my bad.

it was only a rough guide, dynamic CR will change loads with different cams, so you'll only ever get close (within 1 bar ish i'd say) with a rule of thumb

it's roughly right if you take stock static CR as 10.9:1. multiplied by 17 you get 185, and a good health 172 engine is normally around 190psi