ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SPAX front suspension on a willy

Clio 172 cup

Hi everyone,

is it a good idea to replace the standard williams front struts with spax struts and springs and not bother adjusting the torsion bar?

or will this totally ruin the suspension set up?

Thanks

Jim

I dont think spax make em for the williams do they?? I think you need Avo ones mate!!

Not sure bout the torsion bar! Am gonna fit a spax kit to mine this weekend hopefully and aint gonna do the torsion bar at first, gonna see what it looks and handles like first!

Will let you know mate!

Ive got avo ones at the mo, and im replacing them back to the original ones as theyre leakin.

Wouldnt recommend them mate

if the front and rear shocks are changed together and the front spring height is the same then you dont need to adj the torsion bar.

But a hard front and soft rear = understeer to put it basically.

The effect described by BenR in a way that is easy to relate to is that experienced when driving a city runaround hard. In which the roll stiffness of the front to rear can be made change in a way similar to uprating the front springs.

Going into a corner too fast leads, turning in induces the car to roll, somthing we are all familiar with, at a point in the corner all of a sudden the car will seem to understeer more, that is due to the front outside corner of the car to come to rest on its bumpstop. Therefore increacing the rollstiffness of the front. As the roll stiffness of the rear has remained the same an increace in the front roll stiffness induces this understeer.

If I would be right in saying that the roll stiffness cannot be adjusted using the torsion bar, it can be lowered but not stiffened then knowmatter what you do with the suspension (perhaps short of going really heavy with rear dampers, a dirty fix) a certain amount of understeer (relativly speaking) will be added over standard. This you may not notice due to the increaced speed at which you may be able to corner, i guess it all depends how you drive and why you want to lower your car. The balance of the car in my opinion may be negativly affected.

I have made some assumptions in what i have said so if i have made any errors someone please correct me. (i havent changed the suspension on my car due to these reasons, i currently enjoy the things that i am leaning to do with the rear end, I am a fan of oversteer, having just moved from a rear wheel drive car i am learning to drive again.)

no, playing with the rear torsion spring rates and ARB strength is not easy as there are no commercially available parts unlike other torsion bar based cars which are used in competition.

I notice you have a 19, not a clio......so i cant say if its the same. But clios havea tendancy to oversteer VERY easily and react to sudden steering inputs, they run more than their fair share or rear toe out and this affects their slip angle mid corner...i like, but it can catch others out.

For a front heavy FWD car, they REALLY do hang the arse out!

If your on MSN msngr mate use my email in my profile......intellgent talk is nice once in a while lol.

Clio 172 cup

Ok thanks everyone, the reason i asked is that there are some front spax suspension struts on ebay which are quite reasonable was just wandering if i just replaced my standard front willy struts with these if i would have any problems

Jim