ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speakers

Iceberge cup,mito tb
can anyone recommend some speakers dont want to go down the route of 6x9 on the parcel shelf.
thanks allan

Iceberge cup,mito tb
look good, anyone fitted these in a 172 ? do they fit in the original bits if u know what i meen.

You need 13cm speakers for front and back.

Do you have aftermarket head unit. I run stock speakers of my alpine, i have got MDF baffels onto the doors and tbh for stock speakers with only alpine HU and having them fitted to the doors on baffels the sound is great.

If you want to get aftermaket speakers i'd suggest components, so replace the tweeters too and make some MDF baffels to fit teh mids into, will make a big differance.

Iceberge cup,mito tb
cheers bud, any chance u could point me in the right direction as i have no idea what to look for lol

How much money you got to spend? As you can spend from 20 - 2000 easily.

Do you want front and back or just front? Do you mind 2nd hand?

Iceberge cup,mito tb
im easy would rather not spend over £100 though,main reason im wanting to change them is i think my originals are broken, sound breaks up and crackels even if its not that load

"Navy" N17 TWO
Look for a set of component speakers for the front and a set of coaxil speakers for the rear (won't even need the rear) - both 13cm :)

Iceberge cup,mito tb
just had a look at my speakers and think i have upgraded components already, ill take pics and see if anyone knows what they are, they sound ok but if u turn it up the voices etc start to crackle

^^ They'll look like paper and tiny if there stock.

If you're not amping, imo there is no point spending much more than 40-50.

Clio 182
You need 13cm speakers for front and back.

Do you have aftermarket head unit. I run stock speakers of my alpine, i have got MDF baffels onto the doors and tbh for stock speakers with only alpine HU and having them fitted to the doors on baffels the sound is great.

If you want to get aftermaket speakers i'd suggest components, so replace the tweeters too and make some MDF baffels to fit teh mids into, will make a big differance.

Skinny J - Can you take a lil pic of your MDF baffels, think I may need these to improve my sound quality!

Thanks

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Heres what mine were like Jakey:

I didnt cut away the door card as i wanted to return the car to standard. 8 long self tapping screws straight through into the metal of the door card. Some draught excluder too around the rim where the speaker sits on the baffle, and another 4 scews holding the speaker in. 15mm MDF iirc

Definately worth doing as the screws holding in the existing speakers were just little bits of plastic. If you are amping them then you are wasting your time if you dont mount your speakers properly as i had mine in for a day or so without the baffles and they sounded crap. too much movement and hissing where air was getting behind them.

baffles010.jpg

:approve:

Clio 182
:DKool looks good bet it sounds crisp too!

Sorry to sound like a complete amatuer but im guessing you just cut the mdf to fit the current speaker wells and screw tight into place? Does the speaker cover still fit over the top! Very tempted to give this a go just dont want to end up messing it up and having a million screw holes in the speakers well!

ur megane r26
Heres what mine were like Jakey:

I didnt cut away the door card as i wanted to return the car to standard. 8 long self tapping screws straight through into the metal of the door card. Some draught excluder too around the rim where the speaker sits on the baffle, and another 4 scews holding the speaker in. 15mm MDF iirc

Definately worth doing as the screws holding in the existing speakers were just little bits of plastic. If you are amping them then you are wasting your time if you dont mount your speakers properly as i had mine in for a day or so without the baffles and they sounded crap. too much movement and hissing where air was getting behind them.

baffles010.jpg

:approve:

mate that looks awesome, would there be any chance for you to do a quide on how you did this? as like me im sure there are a few people on here who would like to do this and also need some help in doing it?

cheers

Ph1 172 + Combo van
:DKool looks good bet it sounds crisp too!

Sorry to sound like a complete amatuer but im guessing you just cut the mdf to fit the current speaker wells and screw tight into place? Does the speaker cover still fit over the top! Very tempted to give this a go just dont want to end up messing it up and having a million screw holes in the speakers well!

Yep the speaker cover still fits over with plenty of clearance.

mate that looks awesome, would there be any chance for you to do a quide on how you did this? as like me im sure there are a few people on here who would like to do this and also need some help in doing it?

cheers

Im not working tomorrow so i will do you both a little write up on how i did it. i have pictures on my computer too that i remeber taking whilst doing it.:)

Thanks

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
this is gonna sound stupid... how do you go about changing the rear speakers? tried changing them a while back and it had some white adapter thing?

Alex - Once the "grill" is back on its not noticable and i just guessed some prat wont take it off to look really, not much they can do anyway. I did find it made a difference though, as i had it on the door card first but it still allowed for movement, so cut the plastic away and stuck it on the door.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Making Speaker Baffles.

In order to get a good crisp sound and tight midbass, your speaker will need to be securely mounted.
Renault speakers are held in by four torx screws which screw into a plastic rawl plug type thing which is pretty rubbish.

The renault fixings can cope with the small paper speakers that they supply, but when you are upgrading your equipment and using external amplifiers to power them, you will need to upgrade the mounting too.

Here is a picture of my speakers mounted in the normal place. It was only temporary and sounded awful with about 90wrms going through them.

baffles006.jpg

Fist of all you will need to make a few templates so you can cut your speaker baffle to size.
Some speakers will have paper templates supplied with them, so cut these out and lay them on some cardboard then cut around them.

Internal diameter

baffles001.jpg

Mark out the internal diameter on your piece of wood allowing enough room around them to cut the external diameter.

Popular choices of wood are MDF or Plywood. I chose 15mm MDF

baffles003.jpg

I cut the MDF using a large drill bit in the centre, then used a jig saw to cut around the pencil line.
Remember to use a dustmask and gogles when cutting wood ;)

The external diameter will need to be bigger than the external diameter of the speaker so the screws are not too close to the edge.
But it must fit inside the speaker well on the door card.

Both cut out:

baffles004.jpg

Next step is to mount them in the doors. On my car at the bottom of where the speakers sit was a little plastic lip. In order for the baffle to sit flush you will need to get rid of this.
A sharp stanley or a pair of pliers will break it off.

baffles005paint.jpg

Next, i put my baffle in the speaker well and drilled 8 holes through the baffle and into the metal door card.
The wood needs to have a hole which is the width of your screws.
The metal needs to have a smaller hole in it in order four your screw to hold the baffle in tightly.
Use a coutersink drill bit or a slightly larger wood drill bit to countersink the heads of the screws.

baffles009.jpg

Then i put some draught excluder around the inside edge of the baffle. As you can see in the above picture.

This helps to give the speaker a tight seal in order to prevent any hissing.

Finally you will need to mount your speaker.

Place it in position and mark where you need to screw.
Use a small drill bit 1mm or 2mm in order for the screws to secure properly.
Put washers between the screw and the speaker to keep it secure.
Plug in your wires and screw the speaker into its place.

baffles014.jpg

baffles010-1.jpg

Place your grill back on and you are finished.

You will have several holes in your speaker well if you chose to remove this at a later date to return your car to standard but when i done it my old speakers went back in fine and once the grill is on you will not notice.

I dont take any resposibilty if you do this wrong.

Good luck

Alex

Put in the guides section too.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
You know your stuff Alex. Nice install you had on the Clio. Hows the VTR?
Thanks, yeh its great, i have already run all of the cables to put another install in it:eek: Just need to get a new headunit and i can start putting stuff in.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Not to thread hijack, but I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread..

Has anyone upgrade the rear speakers? I'm just wondering how much space there is back there.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
There isnt much space back there. I assume you mean the white plug on the cables? that is just so renault can plug them in real quick rather than making up connections. You will need to cut this off and crimp cimps on to the cables to be able to run an aftermarket speaker.

In my ph1 clio the speaker in the rear is just screwed to the rear quarter trim and there is just a large void behind it so there is no rear way to make a good secure mounting for a speaker.

On mine i just left the standard renault speakers in there but had the headunit fader set so the music was 8 in the front and only 2 in the back.

clio 182
dont get 6x9s get a decent set of mid range and front speakers, iv got dsl front and rear and just standard tweeter, tune it all in properly and they will wipe 6x9s, i thought they where crap when i done them myself but then when i had my subs fitted the audio shop tuned it all in and theyr awsome now, i will be up grading in the future though but thats just because im fussy

Clio 182
dont get 6x9s get a decent set of mid range and front speakers, iv got dsl front and rear and just standard tweeter, tune it all in properly and they will wipe 6x9s, i thought they where crap when i done them myself but then when i had my subs fitted the audio shop tuned it all in and theyr awsome now, i will be up grading in the future though but thats just because im fussy

Hey Swell

i have the same set up in my 197. Coaxial's in the door and rear and standard tweeters? take it you have yr sub amped up? Did you just amp the sub or the rear door speakers too? what sort of tuning did the audio guys do exactly???