ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spec for a 200

Clio 200 Black and White
Right folks, after a year in Cupped 182 FF and a year in a Trophy, I think it's time for a change.

Actually I wasn't really planning it, but after reading eCOTY earlier today I trundled down to the local Renault dealer to have a look at a 200.

After ten minutes I had the keys to a test car and 45 mins of later I was convinced.

In a straight line it feels at least as fast as the Trophy, but much more solid and stable. This doesn't make it feel less frantic, just more planted and tied down. They've been clever with the exhaust note too - grunty on throttle blips, screamy when revved out, and nice and quiet in 6th gear on the motorway.

I don't need to tell you it goes round corners like it's on rails, it really is amazingly well tied down. The steering feels notably quicker and more immediate than the Trophy with less dead travel around the straight ahead (much more like the steering of the BMW mini). There's less feedback through the thick steering wheel than the Trophy, but you still feel completely part of the car, the Recaro seats holding you in perfectly.

The reach / height adjustment on the steering wheel allows you to get the perfect driving position, although there's a bit more height between the brake and throttle pedal than the 182's so heel & toe will need a little practice.

Brakes are trully awesome too.

So, it can take on a Trophy for handling, pace and driver involvement. Where it moves the game on is in the build quality, which feels very German after my track-scarred Trophy. There's a lot more space in the back too, and the boot's a little bigger than the older cars.

So, now the big question: how to spec it!

In Switzerland we only get the FF so here's the spec I'm going for:

-Glacier White with black pack
-Black Cup Wheels
-Recaro Pack
-Grand Tourismo pack (Luxe pack)
-Cup Chassis
-Steering headlights
-Rear spoiler

Let me know what you think of the spec - is there anything on there I shouldn't get or anything I've missed out?

Cheers,

Jake

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Spec looks good, nice to see someone going for the spoiler.

Trophys are rare though in switzerland, must be hard to part with it

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice spec. I'd upgrade the radio to one with bluetooth hands free system.

Do you have to wait long for delivery in Switzerland?

M2 Competition
Id avoid the rear spoiler, makes them look a little cheap, and i think its a nice shape without.

Otherwise, good choices! What do you get in the luxe pack?

Clio 200 Black and White
Id avoid the rear spoiler, makes them look a little cheap, and i think its a nice shape without.

Otherwise, good choices! What do you get in the luxe pack?

Luxe pack gives you:
-Climate Control
-Rainsensors
-Autolights
-Keyless Go
-Uprated hifi with bluetooth / handsfree

The colour is a tough one: I'd like LY but it's just too expensive! So, it's either White or Albi Blue.

Cupped 200
Uhuhm watch out... Swiss 200 here ;)

The normally ordered Spoiler is NOT the Cup one but a tiny thing that makes your roof longer (see in my threat). if to believe the Strassenverkehrsamt the Cup Spoiler is homologized for Switzerland, but you you have to order exactly that, and not the spoiler option! (learn from my mistakes ;) )

You should go for Tinted Windows tho... from inside it is barely visible, but from outside it looks really good. Oh... and dont go to the Renault Wild AG in Schönbühl... good Workshop, but their salesman suck and wont do s**t if they did a mess.

Steering Lights are good, didnt got them because the seller told me i would get projectors without them (hes a complete tool i know now...)

M2 Competition
Luxe pack gives you:
-Climate Control
-Rainsensors
-Autolights
-Keyless Go
-Uprated hifi with bluetooth / handsfree

The colour is a tough one: I'd like LY but it's just too expensive! So, it's either White or Albi Blue.

White for sure.

Clio III RS 200
White vs. Blue = 2:0 and I would also skip the rear spoiler and add tinted windows. Otherwise my will be very similar to your Clio in terms of spec, just in red ;)

Clio 200 Black and White
Uhuhm watch out... Swiss 200 here ;)

The normally ordered Spoiler is NOT the Cup one but a tiny thing that makes your roof longer (see in my threat). if to believe the Strassenverkehrsamt the Cup Spoiler is homologized for Switzerland, but you you have to order exactly that, and not the spoiler option! (learn from my mistakes ;) )

You should go for Tinted Windows tho... from inside it is barely visible, but from outside it looks really good. Oh... and dont go to the Renault Wild AG in Schönbühl... good Workshop, but their salesman suck and wont do s**t if they did a mess.

Steering Lights are good, didnt got them because the seller told me i would get projectors without them (hes a complete tool i know now...)

Ah, a fellow Schweizer! Actually I'm british but been living here a couple years now.

Thanks for the tips, I'll add the tinted rear windows for sure. The colour is still bothering me though - the Recaros are only available in Yellow, so it seems a shame not to tick the LY option.

Did you get any sort of discount on yours?

Cupped 200
Im German living here ;)

You wont get discount on the RS Range in Switzerland. They charge you full. Only thing i got discount was by ordering as demo car on the paper for 1000 CHF (DONT DO THIS!!! ) and another 2000 for my old car goin to the junkyard.

Depending on where your are you can take a look at mine and so decide some options better.... and talk about how to get what you want from those Stealers ;)

Clio 200 Black and White
I'm in Zurich, where are you?

Would be great to meet up and disucss options. What spec is yours again?

Regarding wheels: the option list has the following:

-Renault Sport Cup White
-Renault Sport Silver
-Renault Sport Cup Matt Black
-Renault Sport Dark Anthracite

Which of those are the speedlines? Or do Speedlines need to be ordered separately?

Clio III RS 200
White and black are Speedline Cup wheels, Anthracite are new RS AXL wheels and Silver are BeBop like on the 197. There are also AXL silver, but only on non-cup pack 200s.

Clio 200 Black and White
Probably going for the yellow interior pack as well - only an extra 50 quid and sets off the recaros very nicely.

Not sure if it'll go with the white exterior though, any thoughts?

Anyone have any experience with the cornering lights?

Clio III RS 200
I went for the dark glossy interior pack - you'll have the Recaros match the rev counter and pointer of the top of the steering wheel anyway so having yellow painted parts of dash and seatbelts is a bit too much of yellow in one small interior :)

Cornering lights on Clio 200 are additional bulbs in front lights which turn on when you turn the wheel up to certain speed - same solution is seen on Modus and Clio ph 1 / 197 models and the Mercedes cars do the same thing with their fog lights - it is useful and you get to see inside of hairpin curbe for instance, but from the outside it looks a bit stupid when you're making a light show in normal city traffic :) Directional xenons like in Megane III or Laguna III which really turn the lenses to follow the steering wheel is much better, but it isn't an option for the 200... In Croatia cornering lights are part of the Luxe pack so my car will have them. At least you can be sure if you order them that you'll get lights with projector lense and black background, instead of a silver one like in regular Clio III lights ;)

Clio 200 Black and White
Hmm, sounds like cornering lights aren't really worth it, is that a fair assessment?

I thought they might be useful to help me navigate the hairpins on those late night blasts in the alps ;).

However, if they only work up to a certain speed I'm not sure how useful they will actually be.

Up to what sort of speed do they operate?

Clio III RS 200
Renault.uk:

For an additional cornering light to be activated, the angle of the steering wheel must be equal to or more than 40°, the speed of the vehicle must be less than 60km/h and the dipped beam function must be selected.
Cornering lights are switched off at high speed since the car will be negotiating long corners rather than tight bends.

Cupped 200
They work till 50kph i think. And in the Serpentine corners youre not often more than 50 ;) But Projector lights come with them, so keep that in mind. Black Surrounding of the Lamps is standart in CH. ANd yes, The Cup ones are the Speedlines.

Ive gone for Black Exterior Pack (which they messed up, its Anthracite atm) Albi Blue, Yellow Int Pack, Luxe Pack (Pack Grand Tourisme), Cup Pack, Recaros, Tinted Windows, White Speedlines, Spoiler (it was not the Cup one how i thought... ) and the Footmats.. i think thats it, but due to this option differrences in the countries i could forgot something...

Im in Bern, so just a hour away from you =)

Clio 200 Full Fat W/ Cup
just to say go for bluetooth because if you mobile phone suports the a2dp, (think thats right) you can stream music to it, i use my iphone with mine its brill

Clio 200 Black and White
One more thing:

The dealer told me the service intervals on the 200 are 30,000km (18,000 miles) is that true?

Clio III RS 200
It means that the halogen bulb stands behind a projector lens which improves light disperssion and direction + it also looks better - with better bulbs, like BlueVision or Coolblue you get very close to real xenon when you have the lens. Also, if you ever decide to install a xenon hid kit it will work much better with a projector lens, as without it hids are known to disperse light everywhere.

For service intervals, in Croatia they are also 30,000 km, but I'll still change the oil and oil filter after every 15,000km - it's not a big cost and you never know... I do around 15k km per year so it comes down to once per year.

Barge
Every 12,000 IIRC. Your service book will tell you exactly the service intervals. It'll be something like every 12k or 12months, whichever is first, etc.

Clio 200 Black and White
Interesting regarding the projector lights. I'll get the cornering lights then, they're not so expensive anyway.

So we have two different opinions on the service intervals. Can someone check the handbook please? Is it possible the service intervals are different for different countries?

Clio 200 Black and White
Yeah I thought it would be 12k, but the dealer said it was 30k km (18k miles).

Can a 200 owner check their service book please? Maybe autocar made a mistake.

Barge
I very much doubt it's a mistake by Auto Express. I think regular non-Sport models are 18k. But my 197 is 12k and I doubt with a similar car they'd push it to 18k - I'm not too sure on the 172/182 service intervals, regardless your service light will come on when it's due anyway.

Cupped 200
In my Swiss 200 Manual (and at my Dealer says) is 20k Kilometers. End of line ;)

If you want you can mail me, ill give you my Cellphone Nr. and we can sort some things out.. like Projectors and meeting ;)

Clio 200 Black and White
WOOHOO just ordered my 200!!

Went for the following:

-Glacier White
-Black Speedlines
-Cup Chassis
-Recaros
-Cornering lights
-Rear spoiler
-Tinted rear windows
-Floormatts
-Pack Luxe (Bluetooth, Keyless, Climate Control, Reach Adjustment)

Arrives end of Jan - can't wait!

Two questions:

-What colour are the sides of the rear headrests when you tick the Recaro option?

-The dealer has offered to paint the door handles Glacier White - should I go for it?

Clio 200 Black and White
In my Swiss 200 Manual (and at my Dealer says) is 20k Kilometers. End of line ;)

If you want you can mail me, ill give you my Cellphone Nr. and we can sort some things out.. like Projectors and meeting ;)

Thanks for the info on the service intervals, glad you sorted that one out.

Not seen many around in Switzerland yet, have you?

Cupped 200
No Problem and greetings to this great car =)

For the Door handles i would say just wait till you see it in the flesh and then decide what to go for... if he offered that he should do it too when you got it!?

The Headrests should be Black because the Yellow is part of the Yellow Pack.

To the sightings: only saw some at the Dealers, nowhere else. even the 197's are rare. I mean... you know what the Swiss like. Fat Oversized Overpowered Image Cars.... or 4WD for beeing able to get at home :p Not so many "Sports" Cars around, at least not so many as i would expect at such a high basic salary.