ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

special spark plug spanner?

going to change my plugs on my 172 tomo was just looking and keep seing people say about a special spanner or something can i just not use a normal spark plug socket on an extension bar? thanks just dont wana get the inlet etc off and relise i cant change the plugs lol thanks

Arctic 182
I used a spark plug socket on an extension bar and managed it no prob.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Good luck getting a spanner down a spark plug tube lol !!

Just make sure you follow the routing correctly putting the HTs back in properly !!!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
They probably meant the t-bars that you get rather than a socket on a ratchet I guess..

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
T-bar would be advisable. You don't want to snap a spark plug !! Helicoiling a F4R head is not fun. I should know.

Be careful when you're doing spark/cyl.3 .. they're notorious for being problematic. Water gets in, hence ensuring the HTs are sealing correctly.

Black 172
what where people going on about then saying a normal socket doesnt fit down ?
I don't know, but I was told by a 1.6 Megane owner that he needed to use a special socket (not a normal spark plug socket) on his car, and that if my engine was the same, I could borrow his.
He's an aircraft engineer and he's been rebuilding engines and fixing cars all his life, so I would tend to take his word for it.
Perhaps there's confusion because some Renault engines require this special socket and others don't?

Clio 197
do they not mean the socket with the rubber insert to grip the top of the plug when attached to the plug body? i.e. socket for a spark plug and not a "normal" socket?

A.N. Other
Only problem for that guide, is that in the photo marked #6 - my 2002 172 didn't have that connector/need it removing.
Also, he says you need a 16mm plug socket, but you don't, just a regular one is fine - 14mm i think?