ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speed camera thoughts

T

thecremeegg

Right, this has probably been discussed in detail before, but meh, it occurred to me today.
The police are always wittering on about speed cameras being positioned in order to slow down traffic and make our roads safer, NOT to make money.
Surely, if this is the case then mobile units should be outlawed? Correct me if im wrong, but how is hiding a van and pointing a speed gun a) reducing speeds and b) not earning money?
Fixed cameras in villages i understand, you know they're there and thus slow down. Mobile units 90% of the time you dont know are there, thus meaning you dont slow down and bingo, £60 for mr blair
This came into my mind today on the M4, coming round a bend to see a camera unit on the end of a bridge...obviously without said van, the motorway would be a far more dangerous place :p

worry ye not, a new directive coming out from the government will ensure all speeding fines go to the government & not to the local authority who captured the speeder. local authorities then must apply to the government for a slice of these fines to finance road safety, whether they get any money or not is a different matter as the money will probably be spent on MP's retirement funds or more bombs for Iraq/Afghanistan. Therefore there is no initiative for local authorities to waste money on erecting & maintaining speed cameras, a county could have no cameras of their own, yet still apply for funding. Cant remember when or where I read this but I think I did read it somewhere, could've been The Times or maybe Viz, cant remember tbh.

T

thecremeegg

Lol wherever you read it, if its true then its good news. Did i read somewhere that the mobile units are manned by civil servants not police, or did i dream that?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
There are signs up everyware in that area, so you know there might be one there.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
For starters, it wasn't a speed camera van you saw, it was a ANPR camera checking for stolen cars and excise duty dodgers.

The Camera partnership vans are operated by civilians ( although a lot are retired Police) and they have to be clearly visible, marked vehicles to comply with the HO guidelines.

Police don't get any of the money from the fines, it goes back into central funds as yet another stealth tax levied on motorists.

1.8 8v RSi
well look at it this way......mobile speed camera points are marked with white and black speed camera signs so you do have warning.....just there is no guarentee its there....if i remember my highway code correctly.....however...if a mobile unti is there and there is no camera warning on the road from 1/2 a mile before then you have good reason to take it to court as there was no warning of an "ACCIDENT BLACKSPOT" just for those of you who cant translate goverment language
ACCIDENT BLACKSPOT= Money Making Scheme

T

thecremeegg

It was defeinately a speed camera unit, had THINK! on the side and a nice little camera window. Motorway cameras especially are money makers, they arent accident blackspots

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
there are notorious hiding places on motorways that are used to hide and then fleece people.

totally out of order.