ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo... can anyone tell me... does.. ????

...does putting bigger wheels on your car slow the reading on the speedo down, so for e.g when your actually doing 60mph it will read 56mph ? and 100mph will read further out say 95 on the speedo?

ta.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Clios are pretty far out to begin with. That's why you hear of 1.2s doing 120mph...

At 70mph (car speedo) the Road Pilot Pro on my car reads 65mph. Pretty crap really, going by that, when the car has done 70,000 miles on the clock, it will actually have only done 65,000 miles...

Last edited:
cliokhunt said:
Clios are pretty far out to begin with. That's why you hear of 1.2s doing 120mph...

At 70mph (Road Pilot Pro) the speedo on my car reads 65mph. Pretty crap really, going by that, when the car has done 70,000 miles on the clock, it will actually have only done 65,000 miles...

funny... mine's the other way round. Needle says 70, GPS says 66 :S

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
fUbAr said:

more likely that your gps is out. my gps is also out compared to readings from the speedo and an aftermarket digital speedo.

hi ClioK, soz if i've got my beer head on... but isnt that around the other way? if your speedo is reading less at 70, reading 65mph... you car mileage will be less at 70k miles and read 65k ? (which is good! : )

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Read it again, I think it's the beer !!

Lol only messing, yeah that was my bad, all fixed now though.

Yes the otherway round would be (misleadingly) good, but having an early service is better than a late one.

This Road Pilot is fantastic, you can export the tracking details onto a map such as Autoroute so it shows you where you went, and it can also post the speeds.

If you set the tracking save time for 3 hours (and 11 minutes or something odd like that), then you can have it logging your location and speed every second.

It will be good to take to tracks, especially the green hell.

MrMark said:
more likely that your gps is out. my gps is also out compared to readings from the speedo and an aftermarket digital speedo.

lol, no i think my GPS is fine... its the cars analogue needle thats out ;)

fUbAr said:
lol, no i think my GPS is fine... its the cars analogue needle thats out ;)

what gps you got?

i got the dell nav-teq that you use on a pda.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hi MrMark, GPS is very accurate, although it might give the odd strange reading (out by a few mph) for a second, it is gererally very accurate.

Digital speedos are simply digital readings of your normal speedo. GPS never lies ;)

I would bet that you could go out now, and go past a 30mph speed camera at an indicated 35mph (real 32mph or so) and it wouldn't flash. If it does... Well, you did it my friend lol, but at least it's the middle of the night so no one will see you chopping the b*****d down.

fUbAr said:
tomtom 510 system.

trust me, your cars needle is wrong, not the gps.

:)

ummm,, will do a trial run 2morow. i want to find out how in-acurate my car speedo is.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
MrMark said:
tippex on the camera lense is much quicker!! LOL

Lol, I would never feel comfortable speeding past a GATSO unless I had a full 60 seconds alone with it with a tool.

Be it hammer, circular saw, 2 stroke and matches, or just plain tar (not tippex lol)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
fUbAr said:

fUbAr said:
at 130 i find my car is about 5mph out.

Hate to be a notice it all. But if you double 70mph and 66mph you get 132mph @ indicated 140. Almost 10!!

Still, tell that to the judge !! Your honour, my speedometre was 8mph out!!

cliokhunt said:
Lol, I would never feel comfortable speeding past a GATSO unless I had a full 60 seconds alone with it with a tool.

Be it hammer, circular saw, 2 stroke and matches, or just plain tar (not tippex lol)

i can only imagine what's in your boot.!! lol

cliokhunt said:
Hate to be a notice it all. But if you double 70mph and 66mph you get 132mph @ indicated 140. Almost 10!!

Still, tell that to the judge !! Your honour, my speedometre was 8mph out!!

just goes to prove further how wrong a needle can be :rasp:

I noticed this when I was doing 0-60 tests on my performance meter, it registered my time to 60mph even tho the speedo only reached about 57mph.

Liquidcool said:
I noticed this when I was doing 0-60 tests on my performance meter, it registered my time to 60mph even tho the speedo only reached about 57mph.

would be the other way round.

Speedo would hit 60 before your "performance meter"