ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo not working

CJ

Blue ph1 172
My speedo has stopped working for some reason but it also means that the mileage on my car is not increasing. What does everyone think, should I get it fixed asap or drive around and get some 'free' miles?

CJ

Blue ph1 172
ph1 172, you name any of the usual faults that happen with these cars and I've had them!

BMW M135i
Its probably the speed sensor on the geabox, poor connection or the terminals have rusted. Can be cleaned up if its not too corroded and usually works fine after.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
dont think they have a speedo sensor and the box as they have ABS and it can read from this could be wrong though

If your cars a Mk2 phase 1 then you have a speedo sensor on the gearbox. It can come loose the wiring. The Mk2 phase 2 (excluding Cups) used the ABS systems as the speedo input.

A number of clios
my rev counter as stopped working on mine all the workings inside are f*cked trying to find a new set of clocks for my car cheap is near on impossable lol they are only in the si and rsi

172 cup TT
i had this go on my cup too.... it was intermittent.. enough to be a master of what speed was what just by the gear and Revs so i didnt get flashed or pulled :)

CJ

Blue ph1 172
Well I know I'm doing just under 80 at 3500 rpm in 5th so I'll just stick to that for now.

I've got a problem with my speedo to in my 172.... it only works when the radio is off, or a CD is playing! How strange is that!

It's had a Sony cd-player fitted at sometime, and if you have the radio on (or CD playing but with TA on) then the speedo doesn't work. Turn the headunit off though (or just play a CD with TA off) and it works fine!!

Anyone got any ideas please?? I read in another post that the black connector has a wire in it which is for the "speed pulse" but have no idea what that means, could it be any connection to this problem?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
Does it fail the MOT if the Mileage Clock is'nt working?

.....A car will fail an MOT for not having the rubber piece on one of the pedals.

But yes it will definately fail the MOT without a speedo.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
if you want free miles and to be able to see what speed your doing prob not a bad idea to buy a sat nav, will be more accurate than ur speedo anyway

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Another thing to watch out here.

When buying a car, it's quite obvious when a car has done a lot of miles, and if the oddometer doesn't match up it raises a red flag instantly. Servicing is another issue.

russ9898 said:
if you want free miles and to be able to see what speed your doing prob not a bad idea to buy a sat nav, will be more accurate than ur speedo anyway

I've got sat nav so thats not the issue, i'd just genuinely (sp) like it to work as it should, plus i dont want to be late on any services cos i don't know how many miles i've done.

Any ideas on possible fault / fix would be much appreciate, other wise it'll be gettin booked into the garage on Monday :(