ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo problem...

I've noticed when driving and going over 6k rpm the speedo goes crazy! like spinning all the way around to 160mph and flickering around until I change gear. It's also started just dropping straight down to 0 when just driving normally... I've bought a new set of dials from ebay and they are still the same (if abit worse) than the originals.

I thought maybe this could be ABS ring/speed sensor issue but I noticed the other night when revving my car past 6k it locks and unlocks my doors.... btw it's an 02 plate Mk2 Ph2 172.

Help!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
vtec_yo.jpg

320d
Could well be the speedo sensor. The speedo sensor controls the speedo (obviously) but also can lock the doors because of the auto locking doors.

Just realised something else about this...

Being a chav 'n all, I had my car in neutral and was revving it to near the limiter and the speedo was going crazy like it does when I drive.... now i've replaced my dials and it's been the same as the old ones so that should rule out that it's the dials which are faulty...

but how could this sensor now fix my problem as when I rev the engine in neutral.. the sensor won't be pciking anything up :s

Confused!

BMW M135i
You haven't got a speedo sensor dude, its all part of the abs to give a speed pulse. Only the cups and ph1s have a speedo sensor.

Something must be tracking across somewhere onto the speed pulse line, will give it a good stiff looking at when your round next.

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
I've got the same problem on my Ph1, has anyone got a photo of sensor so I know what I'm replacing, Also exactly where it is would be good.