ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spongy brake pedal after front pad change

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
James where from? I've messaged a couple of people on here but not heard back, needs sorting ASAP

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Diamond mate, ordered.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
OK now they are ordered is it worth getting a flared 11mm spanner or will a bog standard 11mm do the job?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
May be a decent lad, but why would you take on a company with an awful rep and not just start your own?

Technically it used to be Proline Motorsport and now it's Proline Braided Lines.

New customers looking at the business wouldn't know it's past history.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
I did have second thoughts ordering when I did a search on here! It's been posted so good start I suppose!!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Proline all round on my van, their service has been spot on for me

Arrived today so very happy with the service too, looks like this Josh lad is a good fella (y)

All i need are fitting instructions now as they weren't in the box, mark them down on that 😆

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-172...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For anyone who stumbles by here in the future - just buy these. They replace the rear beam solid lines AND the stupid short flexi lines from beam to body. So straight from each caliper to body.

Length perfect, delivery next day (from memory). Made by a member on here @BRT Motorsport I believe. Job done.

As a 'by the way' type of thing I would put money on the short flexi which goes from beam to body being on its last legs, they get some good abuse over time and are constantly coated in salty mud.

1607195737939.png

1607195764403.png

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Update.

All fitted and was very easy tbh, however the pedal travel is still the same :(

Now I've bled 3 wheels however i couldn't do the OSF due to an issue with the locking wheel nut which I've just managed to undo.

Question is, could this one side that I've not bled be the cause for the pedal travel still? if not what other issues can be still causing it?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Results are in... and it's a big fat fail (n)

Bled it and surprisingly no air bubble out came out, gutted.

I shall rebleed them all again starting at the rear, i tried the Renault recommended order and it's hasn't done the job.

Pedal feels great when the engines off lol!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
What are you using to bleed?

Manual method or a pressure bleeder?

Eezibleed, will try again with it along with a few pumps of the pedal for good measure

I've seen it mentioned some people have done it with the engine running and that's sorted it after forever struggling.

Will give them a go before the local garage visit with tail between the legs.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Eezibleed, will try again with it along with a few pumps of the pedal for good measure

I've seen it mentioned some people have done it with the engine running and that's sorted it after forever struggling.

Will give them a go before the local garage visit with tail between the legs.

Yeah it's worth pumping the pedal at the same time, that's what I do with my pressure bleeder.

Just don't press the pedal all the way down, it can flip the seals in the master cylinder.

Failing that you may have a bit of air in the abs unit, which you'll need Clip or RSTuner for.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Also check your new lines carefully to make sure they are not leaking. The stainless fittings are quite hard and don't always seal first time.

If they are weeping a bit, slacken them off, do them up hand tight and rotate the fitting forwards and backwards a couple of times (kind of like badly lapping a valve in) and wang them back up. A small burr etc will make them feel tight while they just sit there spoiling your week.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Pedal is firm now so happy But engine management light is on now wheres it wasn't before, brake fluid is above the max slightly could that cause it?

One issue after another!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Eml will be a coincidence but not related. Scan it with clip and see what codes are stored.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah that's not related.

Fluid fault would normally be the handbrake and stop light flickering.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Eml will be a coincidence but not related. Scan it with clip and see what codes are stored.

Here we go, cleared it and it's gone off however not sure if it will stay off.

IMG_20201209_210641.jpg

Yeah that's not related.

Fluid fault would normally be the handbrake and stop light flickering.

Didn't think so, I did spill some brake fluid from the Reservoir and ran the engine before I noticed, maybe fried something??

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I have had P0130 several times. lambda sensor if I am right. reset with my cheap code reader and a good blast and it normally doesn't come back for a while. I normally get it if I am not using the car much and just moving it in and out of the garage.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Pre-cat lambda, take it for a blast and get it hot then reset the code. My EML with a decat goes off after I rag on my 172's tits for a bit 😂

Brand new sensors too, awkward shitebag

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Cheers lads, will see how I go tomorrow with it, I'll be sure to give it a thrashing ;)

Is the sensor or wiring anywhere near the brake fluid bottle? I only ask because when I spilt some it went down near the manifold and it was smoking a bit down there!

I did obviously turn the engine off when I realised and put a little water down there to wipe off the brake fluid.

Note to self, make sure the lid is totally secure when bleeding brakes!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cheers lads, will see how I go tomorrow with it, I'll be sure to give it a thrashing ;)

Is the sensor or wiring anywhere near the brake fluid bottle? I only ask because when I spilt some it went down near the manifold and it was smoking a bit down there!

I did obviously turn the engine off when I realised and put a little water down there to wipe off the brake fluid.

Note to self, make sure the lid is totally secure when bleeding brakes!!

Nah the sensor is further underneath and the wiring is over to the right at the back of the subframe.