ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sports Cat - 200 Cell

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi all

I know his welding is a bit dodgy but @dann2707 has said he'd give me a hand sorting my blowing exhaust out. V banding and flexi-ing it up after the manifold.

I know the standard cat is a sports cat 200 cell blah blah blah, but I'm gonna f**k it off, get a smaller, lighter cat as it'll be easier than trying to mess around with the standard one. Plus the standard ones are £££ so it'll pay for this work doing and more.

My question, is it worth paying twice as much for a magnaflow car as opposed to a 'cheap' cat off ebay?

The 2 in question are these.

Magnaflow £130ish
Cheaper one £77ish

Screenshot_20200912_104959_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20200912_105049_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As above if your keeping it on the car then you need something better.

The magnaflow will pass but I’ve only ever stuck it in for the mot then gone back to decat.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
@Darryl_1983 may be able to help regarding the cat. Have you had your mot yet after having the aftermarket cat done? May help make this decision regarding price etc

(and 🖕 u @leeds2592 )

Passed emissions last Friday actually, failed on a brake pipe. I meant to ask about the emissions actually, as it was close the previous year with the original cat installed. This year there was no comment though, so assume it's working properly at least.

Sounds better than when the normal cat is installed too, not quite as raspy as the decat though.

I bought a Magnaflow branded cat, as was worried about the cheaper ones not passing. I think the prices have gone up quite a bit recently, I bought mine back in November last year. Screen shot attached of the one I bought showing product number

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200912-112000.jpg
    Screenshot_20200912-112000.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 45

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
my experience of these cheap sports cats is they never get thru an mot, and if they get thru the first one that's their last lol
As above if your keeping it on the car then you need something better.

The magnaflow will pass but I’ve only ever stuck it in for the mot then gone back to decat.

That's not what I wanted to hear haha. I want something I can leave on in honesty. My oem cat past mot with flying colours after being sat for 2 years, maybe I should just stick with that then?

Passed emissions last Friday actually, failed on a brake pipe. I meant to ask about the emissions actually, as it was close the previous year with the original cat installed. This year there was no comment though, so assume it's working properly at least.

Sounds better than when the normal cat is installed too, not quite as raspy as the decat though.

I bought a Magnaflow branded cat, as was worried about the cheaper ones not passing. I think the prices have gone up quite a bit recently, I bought mine back in November last year. Screen shot attached of the one I bought showing product number

Did you not get a print out showing your emissions figures?

As said above, mine past with flying colours on the oem cat, I just don't want to go with a magnaflow and shoot myself in the foot by it passing the first year but not the year after, especially if I sell my oem cat.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Magnaflow and it was tight passing the second MOT. It has about half the material inside than OEM and emission figures were worse straight away.

Stick with OEM as long as you can imo.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That's not what I wanted to hear haha. I want something I can leave on in honesty. My oem cat past mot with flying colours after being sat for 2 years, maybe I should just stick with that then?

Did you not get a print out showing your emissions figures?

As said above, mine past with flying colours on the oem cat, I just don't want to go with a magnaflow and shoot myself in the foot by it passing the first year but not the year after, especially if I sell my oem cat.

I’d get dan to cut and band up your oem, that would derestrict it and save a bit of weight.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I’d get dan to cut and band up your oem, that would derestrict it and save a bit of weight.

What do you mean by cut and band it? As in, chop flange off and v band? Think that might be the best course of action tbh.

Probably won't save much weight though. I'm only concerned about the weight as it currently droops a bit where the back of the cat is sleeved and goes into the centre section. Was hoping to get away from that really.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What do you mean by cut and band it? As in, chop flange off and v band? Think that might be the best course of action tbh.

Probably won't save much weight though. I'm only concerned about the weight as it currently droops a bit where the back of the cat is sleeved and goes into the centre section. Was hoping to get away from that really.
Youd want a flex in if you can

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Oh I know, I'm thinking, band, that flexi you linked me to and can chop some of the sleeving off after the cat as there's plenty of length go play with.
Hopefully keeps it tied up high enough as its just super heavy. Wonder if the flex is better on the back then it's hard mounted to the mani?