ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sports Specific Lens

I am after a lens that will be mainly used for Equestrian Photography. Ideally with some zoom, but the overall range is not a huge issue.

I am getting it part funded so the total budget would be about £400.

My first port of call is the Sigma 50-150 F2.8 HSM as its quick and auto focuses without being too big!

I could get the 70-200mm f/2.8 which is just over budget, but not actually sure if its any better image wise as they are both EX lenses and F2.8.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on the Sigmas?

Must be able to autofocus on the D40.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
torn3.jpg

A4 Avant
I suppose between those two lense it comes down to what kind of reach you need.

I have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and it's the lense I use most, I love it, so sharp and unbelievabley quick to focus. I've heard equally good things about the sigma version.

Good shot that is Clart

Last edited:
I think I do need some zoom as I its going to be dependent on where I can sit at the particular event!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
lol i didn't take it. i think the nikon will be out of his price range slightly - even the sigma is around £700

What about the Sigma 100-300 f4

Cupra
Cracking photo.... I am struggling to image where the camera man can have been stood to take it though!

One of the 70-200 (or 80-200) 2.8s will be the best bet, will last you a lifetime as well and if needed you can always add any of the teleconverters to it at a later date (the 2.8s take 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0x), they are professional grade lenses virtually up to the standard of primes, so worth getting imo.

Keep an eye on the second-hand sites, I got my 80-200 2.8 AF-S for £490 (worth over £1k), so a normal Nikon 80-200 or the Sigma version should be even cheaper second-hand.

Rally bus
I have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and it's the lense I use most, I love it, so sharp and unbelievabley quick to focus. I've heard equally good things about the sigma version.

The Sigma 70-200 doesn't compare to the Nikon version in my experience, slower to focus, not as sharp, not as accurate in when shooting high fps... I guess this is why the Nikon is double the price of the Sigma.

The only negative on the Nikon is that I know a few folk who've had problems with reliability if it's used heavily - my own has broken twice in less than 3 years :S

Rally bus
Any other suggestions or thoughts on the Sigmas?

Must be able to autofocus on the D40.

Nikon 18-200VR lens... I use this a lot for rallying, excellent lens... downside is that it can struggle in low light compared to a 2.8.

Day light the 100-300 F4 would be a great lens but if the lights going to get low and you want to blow out backgrounds more the 70-200 f/2.8 all day & it'll balance great on your D40 :p