ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sprayers/ bodyshop people

Arctic Blue FF 182
Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone can help and lend some advice. I'm not far off spraying my classic mini project then soon after my mk1 golf so I'm now looking into my paints. I will be painting it as that has been the whole point of my project and have had a go at spraying before, just never selecting the paints. I have got a bit confused with the various options so wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. Below is what I no or don't know:

2K paint- A no no for doing at home due to the harmful chemicals and need for an air-fed mask

water base- Requires baking in an oven

So this bring me onto 1K paint which is where I seem to be hearing different things:

1K acrylic Paint (Uses a top coat and then a clear coat)

or

Cellulose (Generally goes on as just a solid which can be cut back and polished, but it can be clear coated if wanted)

Hearing 1K acrylic being called different things as well?

So basically I'm looking for advice regarding 1K acrylic and cellulose. I can find 1K acrylic bits, but not thinners as easily for it, does that mean it uses standard thinners or......

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks
James

Hi James, aslong as you stick to 1K paints often called cellulose(they are on and the same in my understanding), then you'll be fine for DIY home spraying, but in fairness the whole process is alot more difficult without using 2K paints, thus i would seriously consider just taking the car to a body shop.

What you'll need either way, is a 3Hp compressor with a 50l tank on it, and decent spray gun with a 1.4mm nozzle and a decent 3M mask (dont skimp on this).

Cheers,
Si

Arctic Blue FF 182
Hi Si,

Thanks for that. Yeah, I understand 2k would be much easier, the whole project has taken a long time and I have done EVERYTHING myself, custom fabrication, design and manufacture of bespoke parts, so spraying is going to be done by me as well. Just something I have always wanted to do, and then say I have done everything on the cars. I did have a friend working in a bodyshop who was going to show me how to in their oven, but he since left.

I have a 3Hp, 50l compressor already and picking up a spare 50l air receiver to plumb in, got a gun sorted too with a 1.4 nozzle and a 1.8 or 2.0 (can't remember which) for applying my high build primer. Mask is still on my list though.

Seems I'm got most bases covered then.

Cheers
James

ITB'd 172 POPTART
3 base dependant on paint type and 2-3 clear. Candys and pearls I do 3 ish to the point I'm happy the colour is decent enough. More clear the more you can buff. Enamel is bake job ideally and if it's garage spraying then it's hazardous and environmental ppl might ask questions if you have a local snitch.

Even speaking to the paint dealer will help you and even mix the thinners in paint for you :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be looking at ordering what colour you want in "solvent" so simple really.

Easily the best paint to use. Especially for bigger jobs. Waterbase is a pain in the arse but of course cleaner.

inferno 182.
1k,acrillic or celleloce what ever you want to call it you could(not advise!) do at home.
this product is really dated and unless you are restoring a classic car and keeping it genuine will need alot of care as very sort and will fade in the sun very easy so will require polishing regually.
if your so intent on doing all the work your self for your satisfaction ask a few smaller bodyshops to see if you can book it in just to mask and paint it and stress you want to put the paint on! then you can use 2k which is durable and wont fade! you could use a solvent base to keep costs down rather than water as more expensive and there are plenty of very good 2k value lacquers out there!
bit of reserch for the result you want!
hope this helps.