ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying Plastic

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

(Not sure where to put this as it is interior and exterior)

I want to make my clio unique, so had an idea but not sure if it would work.

I want to spray all the horrible grey plastic a different colour (I mean all of it - inside and out). I know just spraying straight onto the plastic would just chip straight off when dry because of the smooth shiny surface - any1 know how (if possible) to get a good non-chip finish onto the horrible hard grey plastic of mk1 clios?

[Edited by Rip3z on 07 July 2005 at 1:32pm]

i have just sprayed some of the inside of my clio blue glitter and it looks very good, i started off with plastic primer did 2 coats then i used the actual colour(blue glitter) 2 coats the st finish put the clear laquar on.

It is well worth doing and i would say go for it if you want any more help or advice just pm me

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Wow, looks better than I thought it would.

Do you have to sand it first? PMs coming your way ClioLass.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Nice job, looks v professional, ill be sure to take pics of mine once Ive done it. Im thinking of maybe doing a lot more than those indivual parts tho - maybe the whole plastic interior black - think itd look smart with the black leather/chrome I have in there atm.

Wow! Really like what youve done to that interior there looks pretty stylish - pity the exterior is a lil overly barryfied though :D

rsturbo and a xr3i

Quote: Originally posted by cassiuss99 on 08 July 2005

Wow! Really like what youve done to that interior there looks pretty stylish - pity the exterior is a lil overly barryfied though :D
:eek: lol i know its not to everyones taste but i like it :D

nice car hun looks lush i love it, its also good that you can have a baby seat in it too i will have my kid in mine when i have one.

Well done girl

rsturbo and a xr3i

Thankyou cliolass , i really dont get the above post , ok it may look abit funny a baby seat in a kitted up car but that car is mine and my husbands hobby, we dont go racing around the town centre at nite and were looking at getting another car to run about in ie a williams and keeping it totally standard and keeping the kitted one just for shows.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Nothing wrong with baby seats in your car hun...

Ive been doing it for years...

Mines a Recaro thou... and the kids love my car...

rsturbo and a xr3i

^^ yep my kids love my car lol bless them , anyway i think we better get back on topic cause i seemed to of hijacked this chaps post . i used folia tec interior spray on mine and it leaves a factory finish to it id definatly recommend it.

And racerstu the strut tops were from hillpower

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

All discussion welcome in any of my topics =).

Nice car Mandy007 - prefer darker colours myself though.

A silver Honda

Mandys is one of the best modded RTs ive ever seen.

I wanna do all of my dash black but im too lazy lol

im in the middle of doing my interior plastic. doing it red and black in preperation for the exterior re-spray.

done the passengers side door pannel, and am working my way around the dash. ive done the big top bit and the pass side air vent and am just currently doing the glove compartment flap.

once ive got the smaller bits done, the large piece of the dash is comming out.

ill have pics soon if anyone is interested.

rsturbo and a xr3i

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 08 July 2005

nowt wrong with the kids but the burbury style carseat cover isnt the best lol
its not attually burberry its blue and grey cheak , and i didnt buy it as a fashion accessory i bought it for the safty of my daughter and it was the only car seat in mothercare at the time that was compatable with my car , as not all car seats fit all cars

[Edited by mandy007 on 08 July 2005 at 4:45pm]

big red bus

Make sure u sue plastic primer or it will peel off straight away like when i done my bike panals :oops:

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

ClioLass didnt sand anything I dont think, just used plastic primer.

Have the rest of you sanded? If so what sand paper did you use?

(Id sure be interested RT_blackpool)

Has anyone got any pictures of the exterior trim painted....im thinking about doing it my self. wanted to see what it looks like.

Also how do you get the side mouldings off.ive tried to slide them they just wont shift(and yes in the correct direction)

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

They do come off, just need a lot of force the first time - at least that was the case for me.

Those are the first things I plan on painting - what colour you using?

i finally managed to get alll the trim offfff!!!! for those that cant do it...heres how...

Side mouldings...push them towards the middle of the car....first time takes a big push.. they do come off after a massive push beleive me!!!!

Back bumper...open boot...undo the two screws....pull out slightly and were the reg light...theres a clip to undo...take out rear lights to make it easy. after this it takes a lot of messing about trying to undo all the clips.

front trim...put a screw driver in from the top and bend it out...this is only held on my clips so thres no screws to undo. again this takes a lot of faffing about.

on mine the reg was half stuck to the body work aswel as the trim so i had to rip that out aswel.

So far the paints held on quite well but its not the hardest paint to pull off with your finger nail either. im still half way throught doing it. looks like il need a load of coats of laquer to keep it in place

PM me for any questions!

tiTTy & SV650

if ur spraying the actual plastic of the dash as opposed to the plastic inserts I think ull prob need to use some filler to smooth it and then rub it and fill it and rub it and so on till its nice n smooth.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Said itd need a lot of force Fabio1605 - I found out by hitting a tree :D.

You dont think with primer itd be ok to just leave the texture of the dash rory182?

Hey, thanks for all ya comments i am very happy with the way the spraying looks, didnt think it would look that good.

I didnt sand anything before spraying i just cleaned everything with brake cleaner that really is the best thing to use before spraying it gets rid of all the greese,dirt and any other crap.

I had the silver handles already in the car they came as standard.

How do you remove the trim above the glove compartment and the trim on the other side, to the right of the steering wheel?

Cheers

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

On what mk/ph?

You should get a Haynes Manual - tells you how to remove/refit near enough everything on the whole car.

Punto/Clio GTT

just flickin through some old posts, sorry to bump it back up :p

mandy your car looks awesome, really really nice mods, front end looks proper mean.

as for spraying dash, you gotta be careful really, if its an oldish car, i can guarantee someones used a silicone based product on it at some point. soon as you primer it will just go crazy, probably completely wreck the dash section you are painting, actually bite into it and deform the shape.

so before anything give it a damn good cleaning with a silicone remover, soapy water, leave it to dry.

i wouldnt use sandpaper, get some scotchbrite (grey is most used), its basically a brillo pad that makes loads of fine scratches that gives the primer somethin to key to. give it a good rub and youll see the surface go dull. give it another clean, plastic primer, basecoat, laquer.

key to a good finish is a good prep and keeping everythin clean as possible.

im looking at doing this very soon to... ill follow that final maxim cheers mate!

ive used silicon based cleaning stuff on my car many a time... so i guess i better get some silicon remover!

any ideas where to get all of the above from? (other than the basecoat)