ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring Cleaning.

Si

RS Clio 172
I've been neglecting my car cleaning over the winter months...

4316657047_d52438ebb9.jpg

So, basically, a few weeks ago i set about giving the car a thorough clean as well as cleaning the wheels and arches. the wheels were a mess with loads of baked on brake dust and since i'd had a serious falling out with bilberry wheel cleaner (I think it's s**t) I decided to give good old fashioned elbow grease a go.

Results...

4318823525_9818fc901a.jpg

That was it for then but I've had a G220 lying for quite a while and have been waiting for the weather to pick up to give it a go. Also the car hasn't seen wax or sealant since september so i felt that also needed addressing. Last week I clayed the car, I last did it last June and was surprised how much s**t had built up since then, no pics unfortunately.

Today started a bit like this...

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

The car wasn't too dirty as i've been cleaning it every week since the picture at the top of this post, as well as the claying last week. As you can see i've removed the badges, I then went on to remove the rear numberplate too. I left the front as I didn't feel it needed as much attention where it's recessed quite neatly.

Drying...

DSC_0021-1.jpg

I've included this pic as I want to say how good this drying towel is. It's Clean Your Car's own drying towel, it's awesome. Such a vast improvement over my poorboys towel. I honestly thought it was going to absorb my arm at times.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

I then began masking...

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

and then set to work with the G220. I did attempt to get some before & after pics of the paint but they were all s**t. I experimented with compounds and pads until i was getting results i was happy with.

All was going well until I got about 2/3 of the way around the car. Then the on/off switch on the G220 began to play up. It got to the point where i had to put quite a lot of force on the switch to keep it running, which was far from ideal. This pissed me off. Finishing the car took far longer than it should of done and with poor results.

I wanted to get a couple of layers of EGP down and some wax on before it got dark but in the end I only managed one layer of EGP before sticking it in the garage for the night.

I'm still not sure what the fault is with the G220, after looking into it a bit more there appears to be a problem with my extension lead, into which the G220 was plugged, but the G220 still wouldn't work properly when plugged into another socket. So I'm a bit confused now!

I did my best to get some pics of the finished result...

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0075-1.jpg

I'll get another layer of EGP on tomorrow hopefully, as well as some wax. I'm so annoyed with the day though, to put effort it and get a result poorer than you were hoping for really f**ks me off. My Karcher broke last week too so my detailing world seems to be crumbling around me. lol.

Comments welcome anyway :) Sorry the pics are s**t. I hope to be getting some better ones taken with Revels later in the week as well as re-fitting badges when i've decided on which ones i want :p

Products used if anyone's interested:

Megs Shampoo Plus
Megs Microfibre Wash Mitt
CYC Drying Towell
Megs "last touch"
AG Intensive Tar Remover
Meguiars Clay
Menz Power Gloss
Mainly used a Sonus SFX pad, and spot pad (Yellow)
Sonus Rubber & Vinyl Dressing
AG Extra Gloss Protection
Victorias Councours Wax (Tomorrow :eek:)
Megs Microfibres
Megs Glass Cleaner

Si

RS Clio 172
cheers :) garage is nice... but it isn't quite wide enough to use seriously really.

exhaust is a bit marmite i know... but the noise makes up for it.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I want your wheels! I had centre caps on my silver 2118's fitted to my last 172, but no one else seems to bother??

Si

RS Clio 172
Cheers! :D

was going to lower the rear a bit more but i keep bottling it. It handles great how it is so i'll prob just leave it :)

Track 172 & Golf R32
i think the heights spot on! Before the zorst haters get involved i love it! Its a beaut!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Simply stunning.

I have one of those towels! Epic drying abilities!

Oh was it rubber dressing on the tyres? I like the shine.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Neil :eek: GET OUT ffs! lol

Love it Si - bloody love it! :approve:
So mine wasn't the only Monaco that got a bit dirty over the winter season then.
I share your frustration in not getting the finish you set out for - stone-chips galore on mine but I'll leave that til another time

DB.

BMW 440i
Looks great, Decided on the badge yet?

Ill be debadging next week and going for the 197 badge to cover the pins. :)

Si

RS Clio 172
I'm thinking of doing just that, Dave :) although the clio badge has still left some shitty remains which i cant seem to shift. plus one of the clips broke and is now rattling around inside the boot. lol. fail.

LY 182
Looks awesome. The wheels are teh_sex!

Appreciating the detailing side of things too seeing as I have OCD on that kinda stuff heh. May have to check out one of those drying towels, looks really good.

Si

RS Clio 172
Cheers guys!

It's raining now so i'm going to leave any further work until next weekend prob. Will try and fix the G220 in the mean time and assess the paintwork again when the weather improves. then more layers of EGP and some wax can go on :)

DB.

BMW 440i
I'm thinking of doing just that, Dave :) although the clio badge has still left some s**tty remains which i cant seem to shift. plus one of the clips broke and is now rattling around inside the boot. lol. fail.

Ahhh f*ck. Hope that dont happen when i do mine! Ill make sure i pull out, rather than up and down then. :)

Ordered my 197 badge today! Get it done ;)

DCi 100
Awesome car,

I think my little Clio badge had scratched the paint off the bootlid :dapprove: Fcuking Renault.

looks good Si, i dont know if i was expecting to much with my machine polisher but was still impressed overall

Si

RS Clio 172
know what you mean Nikki. I think i was expecting a flawless finish. but there's a definite improvment :) just a shame the G220 packed in before i got a go at a few bits.