ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Springs or coilovers?

172 rep
Right, time to get my car lowered,looking for some advice, it's completely standard atm, just got a set of 172 wheels for it, just wondering what's the best way to go, springs or coilovers? And what's the difference? And, how much should I drop it by?

coilovers - bigger drop, 70mm-60mm all round. FK highsports or silverline (although no experience with silverlines)

172 rep
sorry, i meant the difference between getting springs or coilovers, is it really that much difference?

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
springs your at a fixed height, coilovers you can adjust them to however you want and then you can adjust the camber

172 rep
So basically, by getting coilys i'm going to have a much better ride, how about handling? Not that it makes much difference, it's only a 1.2!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
what do you want, and whats you budget??
theres pros and cons for both,

coilies are expensive (£400+), and you loose alot of ride comfort,
but you gain a big/adjustable drop, handleing is vastly improved too.

springs are cheap (£70), and you can retain most of your ride comfort,
but your at a fixed hight which is at the lowest 60mm drop, and they wont make a great deal of difference to the handling.

cutting standard springs, VERY cheap (£0), but loose all ride comfort,
can have as big a drop as you cut off, but handling will seriously suffer.
also will damage the shocks/wheels over bumps and probably fail an MOT.

(worth giving all the options lol)

personally, i dont like the idea of suspension worth that much, one wrong move on a wet day, and your looking for a new set. will personally wait until im a better driver and/or have that kind of money to waste.

hence why i have springs :)

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
coilovers are going to keep your ride comfort depending on the dampers used and if they are adjustable what you set them at, its going to handle better if setup properly and you can go as low as you want

springs are going to make it sit a bit lower, you cant adjust them, and if your using standard dampers your ride comfort will be right out the window and so will the handling if you go any lower than -40mm!

springs and dampers are as above fixed height, will handle a bit better once tracking and alignment has been setup slightly better ride comfort than using standard dampers

172 rep
so how easy are the coilovers to adjust, can it be done yourself, or does it have to be put into a garage?

172 rep
well, that's what I was trying to work out, but from what i've been told the ride is greatly affected with springs, and i do drive down alot of bumpy roads!! But from what i've been told, with coilovers it's not as bad? So, I'd rather spend the money and have a half decent ride quality, than be crashing all over the place with springs!!

172 ph1
well, that's what I was trying to work out, but from what i've been told the ride is greatly affected with springs, and i do drive down alot of bumpy roads!! But from what i've been told, with coilovers it's not as bad? So, I'd rather spend the money and have a half decent ride quality, than be crashing all over the place with springs!!
or save your money to buy coilovers when you've got a car which is fast enough to make use of them?

the coilovers are not going to make your 1.2 any easier to sell when you decide to do so

172 rep
to be honest, i'm not entirely bothered about selling it, and if need be, I can always stick some standard suspension back onto it!

Is the ride quality really that much different between the springs and coilovers then? This is what i wanted to know in the beginning, and everybody said coilovers, but if there isn't a huge amount of difference, i'll just get springs?:D

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
get coilovers ive got them on my 1.2 but i bought them so i could have my car low, i now have the added bonus of having exceptional handling. its all down to you and what you wont to spend your hard earned on, you'll regret not gettin coilovers tho imo

Static Low
i first got the apex 60mm springs and shock kit and regretted it a week later !

saved for coilies !

Ive never looked back

172 rep
Cheers for all the comments, gonna go for the coilies on the group buy in the for sale section, don't think springs will lower my car enough, and don't wanna waste my money to hate them a week later!!

Cheers!