ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spun off in the clio...

1.2 16v Dynamique
Today I spun off in the clio on an industrial estate going around a bend, it's not that sharp of a bend but the road was wet, i wasn't speeding or anything guess i just went a little too quick, but anyway I came into the bend (right turn bend) and it just slid kinda felt like drifting until i span around and mounted the kirb on the other side of the road (there were no cars around or anything it was pretty quiet) I got out and looked at my tyre expecting it to be ruined because it hit the kirb kinda on the face of the tyre (seemed like) but there was no damage at all, drives fine, had a good shake of the tyre it isn't loose it isnt bent or anything. should i get it checked out or should it be fine? nothing seems to be damaged whatsoever. I just drove away with no problems, been driving it for the rest of the night and its been fine. thanks guys.

Haha Sorry to laugh brad but I did the same thing in a fiesta zetec a few years ago, was too busy doing something else got to the corner and just turned, back end came out and drifted around the corner until it snapped back round and jumped a curb with all four wheels and stopped right before a street sign :) all was fine to my surprise. like you I expected a few flat tyres.

If your fully inflated in the morning you should have escaped with no damage :) just check your steering alignment and see if there's any play in the wheels by giving the top a little push pull.

1.2 16v Dynamique
haha ok evo thanks for the advice, i expected a flat tyre to arise over the night but nothing so far, i checked the steering alignment and seemed fine also doesnt pull to one side or whatever, and checked the tyres for any play and there was none whatsoever so hopefully escaped with no damage :D

1.2 16v Dynamique
oh you live in bolton, do you know wingates industrial estate by any chance? was there haha

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah check alignment is the best thing to do although it might have been slightly off anyway as they usually are a little bit off from each side.

1.2 16v Dynamique
i guess i just wasn't paying much attention i was thinking about something else and then next thing i know i lose control of the steering wheel, wasn't even going that fast but for the conditions, yes it was probably a little too fast thinking about it.

1.2 16v Dynamique
haha yeah, best thing to do i'll just take it to my local garage and ask him to have a check :)

If its any benefit i have horrible tyres on mine and in the rain they are s**t, grip ace in the dry but useless is the rain , foot flat down on a slip road and itll light up 3rd in the rain !

NEED to invest in good tyres!

Last edited:
  1.2 16v Dynamique
the tarmac on that corner does look really smooth though, it actually looks pretty slippy like even in the dry, it looks like its been filled in because of potholes or something

1.2 16v Dynamique
oh by the way, I didn't mount the kirb with all four tyres it was just the front tyres (it was the passenger side one the majority of the hit though)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Cheap rear tyres are bad for this. When i first bought mine it had properly cheap tyres on the rear and it was seriously dangerous.

1.2 16v Dynamique
thanks mate, been a big help. i'll just get them changed and keep my current tyres now as spares in my garage, or just let the tyre company keep them. :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
You sure there wasn't a bannana skin in the road? ;)

Michelin Pilot sport 3's are very good road tyre but maybe over kill on something with not a lot of power? Depends how you drive it I guess and if you have the money. something a little cheaper but still pretty good is the Hankook v12's.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats why I put a question mark lol, wasn't really sure there's any such thing as over kill where tyres are concerned. Depends on a difference of opinion I guess.

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
could be a mixture of things

Lack of experience

​not driving with the conditions in mind ?

This happened to a mate of mine,
Going around a corner same speed as the car in front and the car behind ( they were in a BMW and a Volvo, he was in a Saxo)
He span out of control hit the curb rolled down the embankment and hit a lamp post, he was lucky that lamp post saved his life, if it wasn't there he would have been on the motor way and if someone hit him game over.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I blame that nexen. They have to be the worst tyres IN THE WORLD

Oh, and the word is KERB. Unless your American.

1.2 16v Dynamique
haha, just realised oh yeah! no idea why I spelt it kirb, and i'm definately going to get the rear tyres changed.