ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaking alt belt.... AAARRRGGHHH!!!

Alfa 147 GTA
Things driving me insane and I'm well embarassed by it, it sounds like my sister.

Its been squeaking for a while, but I had a new alternator fitted last week which I thought would solve it. (not a new belt though as it was only changed last month). It stopped squeaking for about 2 days, but now its back, not as bad as before but its there.

Took it back to the garage, they said tension was fine and they sprayed it with some penatrating oil which stopped the squeaking. Drove off, next day it was back.

I'm off to back to uni tomorrow so can't take it back, and I'm sure spraying oil on it aint the best thing. Should I get a new belt fitted? Should I need one after such a short space of time? How much would I get robbed to get someone to change the belt for me? The cars a valver.

Cheers

Clio
It could be one of the tensioner pullies that is nackered but the garage should of checked this before fitting the new alt belt.

Thats the next step I would take

Alfa 147 GTA
I forgot to mention I had all the pullies changed around a month ago too. The guy at the garage said the same thing though but said it was the belt, because when he sprayed the oil on it it stopped the sqeaking.

I'm thinking of getting a new belt on it, if it was squeaking before the new alternator I guess it may be slightly damaged and therefore slipping. know how much it would be to get this changed? and is it a hard job?

Clio 172 Mk2
did you have the cambelt pulleys changed mate?? im reckoning its one of them if not, just waiting to have mine done

CB600FS
Have you taken the belt off to confirm it definately is making the noise?

Chances are unless you asked otherwise, they used a non-genuine belt at the garage, & you get what you pay for to be honest. They can be expensive but a genuine one should solve it. Seen this a few times from GSF belts etc, some are good, some suck.

Chalk is good to stop them sqeeking too