ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaky gearchanges and slight vibration through wheel??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Hiya. Just driving my car up the motorway tonight and it started making this weird (but subtle) vibration that I could feel through the steering wheel but only when accelerating and at around 80mph. Then I heard a noise like something fell over in the boot and the vibration went! Weird! Dunno if it's linked or what, to the next issue........

Then I pull over and notice that it's a little tough (tiny bit of crunch) getting it into reverse and the gear lever creaks/squeaks really badly and can feel it rubbing on something through the gearstick!

Any ideas?

Just uploading a video now of the noise it makes.

Looking on here it sounds like the linkage needs greasing up, but then the upper g/box mount could be at fault for the vibrations/reverse issue? I did just replace this about 3k miles ago - albeit a £5 ECP special.

Any ideas guys?

Read your PM mate, so replying here..

Mine wasnt as loud as that, it started when it was hot so i lifted the gear leaver and sprayed some silicone grease onto the ball, seems it was a bad idea as it made it worse, i packed it after with the only thing i had... vaseline and it solved it abit, someone might be able to help you better than me.

If it is the ball making the noise a bit of vaseline or something might be an easy try first.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah thanks a lot mate. There's not that many threads on the gearstick squeaking, but loads on gearbox failures! PLEASE GOD NO! Don't think it is that. It's just the squeaking from the gearstick area. Don't want to be driving it and causing more damage to other areas.
Do I have to attack it from under the car or is there any way I can lube the old girl up (yummy) via the inside of the car? CBA getting under the car relying on a scissor jack!

Sounds a bit like the ball which is under the gear gaitor could be tight and un-greased but not sure.

The leather gear gaitor needs to be unclipped (the clips break very easily so be careful). think the end you slide a flat head screwdriver in is the bottom of the gaitor then lift it up and you will see the ball.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Thanks you very much indeed sir. Been at the garage all day today faffing about with his DCi and have driven home now 40 miles away! Ballache! Will try this tomorrow, lithium grease you reckon? Don't think I've got any vaseline in my house (not sure what this says about me - I assure you it's cos I haven't bought any, not that I've run out).

Is it a similar sound to what you had though mate? Just a lot louder.

Yeah lithium grease sounds about right, as long as its got a good thickness to it.

Mine sounded like a squeek every time i changed gear, your changing quite fast so its hard to tell, best thing to do is whip the gaitor off, put some grease on it, move the gear stick up and down and keep packing a little bit in and hope that works.

The linkage ball is housed in what feels like soft rubber I think, so with the right grease it should stop the noise if that is the problem.

Edit: underneath the car theres a rubber cover on a part of the gear linkage full off grease, id have a feel of that and check its got enough grease in, maybe pack that with some as well if not.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah soft rubber? Cos it does feel like rubber when it's rubbing and making the squeak. Weird though cos I've not really noticed it until today and it's really loud!
I'll get the gearstick gaitor off tomorrow and pack a shed loads of grease down there to see if it makes it better. Doesn't sound healthy at the mo.
cheers bud.

Edit: yeah I know the part you mean, it's like a rectangular boot around the gear linkage parts? thing is I don't really trust the std clio jack to let me crawl under the car! Might try it if I'm feeling brave.

I only had the squeak on my 1.2 when it was hot, and i think if id have left it it would have been fine, but squirting a thinner wd40 type grease on it seemed to disolve the thicker grease (well thats what i thought) packing it with thick grease again after worked.

If its been hot around your area today that could be why its happened.

You can probably feel it without the car jacked up, just do it on the ground if you can.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Hope it's simple. Really CBA with these little problems that seem to accumulate. My ph1's were never this much hassle!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sprayed white lithium grease on the ball socket from inside the car. Not made much difference. Gonna get it up on the ramps this weekend or next and pack the linkage up - getting a ph1 one aswell which I'll pick up to put in.
As for the vibrations, I can feel it ever so slightly through the wheel and the pedal! Maybe a bearing, or maybe the upper gearbox mount is worn cos it was only a £5 Euro Car parts belter.

Anyone had much experience of these? Do they only last 10 minutes in people's experience?