ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeal noise @ 100mph ????

1st things 1st i dont go everywhere at 100mph, before someone say's it;)

I did however touch 100mph last night on a "private road" that was part of my journey, and got a fairly loud squeal type noise, from where i belive to be the passanger side. If i then backed off, to under the 100mph marker it stopped, back to 100mph it started again.

Any ideas ?

172 cup
on a serious note, could be loads of things. Brakes, wheel bearings, some poor cat you just ran over

I knew i was leaving myself open on this one !!

I would prefer to get to the bottom of the issue, as on the track/private road it may be very distracting and cause me to crash and die. Then my Mum would cry .....Bad times.

Yep, wheel bearings might need replacing.

When did you last have the tracking done?

Good point, i have thought there is a wheel bearing out. But the drone is from the rear, and it seems strange how this squeal only comes in at 100mph and goes as soon as you come under that speed.

Never had it tracked, why ?

172 cup
rear wheel bearings go on them all the time, drive it hard and they will need replacing atleast every year. Did mine last summer, and guess what? hmmm whats that drone again

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Good point, i have thought there is a wheel bearing out. But the drone is from the rear, and it seems strange how this squeal only comes in at 100mph and goes as soon as you come under that speed.

Never had it tracked, why ?

If the tracking isn't aligned properly then this could cause it

rear wheel bearings go on them all the time, drive it hard and they will need replacing atleast every year. Did mine last summer, and guess what? hmmm whats that drone again

My front left needs replacing atm :(

Sounds like i need to start with them then, guess it could be that as you approach the higher speeds the bearing warms up and hence the squeal.

Does anyone know if the rear discs come with bearings from Renault ? If so i may do brakes all round at the same time.

Black 197
The squealing is the panels ripping from there seams PMSL,

On a serious note its Prob the bearings but im sure they would squeal / whir nearly 99% of the time regardless of speed

Rear discs including bearings are £95 + vat from Renault themselves

mine done this was tracking now goes 100 plus and all u can hear is me scream

Cant get my head round the tracking causing a noise !!!

Sweet news on the discs, as i believe Renault are still doing 30% Discount on all brake parts at the moment.

It could be something of nothing, how loud is this squeal? Could be wind noise at that particular speed. Sure I've read on here somewhere some of the RS's suffer from this.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cant get my head round the tracking causing a noise !!!

Sweet news on the discs, as i believe Renault are still doing 30% Discount on all brake parts at the moment.

Why not, if the wheel has a slight wobble then it could make a noise.

It might even be a sign that your driveshafts are on the way out.

Black 197
Yep got mine 2 weeks ago £95 + vat, mind you mine come with the abs ring which you wont need but there either gonna be the same price or a few pennies cheaper

(£300 on Discs / Pads / fluid spent 2 weeks ago now trading it in on wednesday - Bee in bonnet FTL)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yep got mine 2 weeks ago £95 + vat, mind you mine come with the abs ring which you wont need but there either gonna be the same price or a few pennies cheaper

(£300 on Discs / Pads / fluid spent 2 weeks ago now trading it in on wednesday - Bee in bonnet FTL)

impulse buys FTL ;)

I had a problem similar to this. As soon as I hit ~80mph there would be this really loud high pitch squealing noise that seemed to be coming from the front passenger side. It was definitely wind noise and if you pushed up on the courtesy light it would change the pitch. I was going to get my windscreen resealed but after fiddling around with the rubber, it stopped :)
Suggest you try that before spending any money.

Yeah it's the windscreen. My mate's does it at 100mph. Mine does it at 120mph. Luckily it was only a problem when I lived in Germany :eek: Actually I've since had a new windscreen, so for all I know it may have been fixed now :D

It can vary depending on head winds, but generally, it always happens at the same speed.

White APE
I get this noise too. High pitched squelling noise. Will check my windscreen i think!