ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeeking from aux belt

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Since a few days ago my aux belt started squeeking, at first it was only on startup, but now it's also when the engine is warm.
Normally it should be replaced in 7K miles;
Am i right thinking i should replace it now, no mather how many miles i'm of the service interval.

Also, should i replace the water pump, as the belt has to come off anyway?

Any advice is very much welcome

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
what car is it? how longs and millage since it was last done?

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
^^ 2002 172, Aux belt and cambelt were changed in 2007 at 67K kilometers, now i'm at 107K kilometers

PH1 172 Sport
Despite common belief theres nothing wrong with the 172 water pumps. Is it the belt thats squeaking, ones of the pulleys or an accesory like the alternator?

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
I also must ad that i've put a wee splash of WD40 on the belt and tensioner while it was running today and most of the squeeking is gone now.

still don't trust it though

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Despite common belief theres nothing wrong with the 172 water pumps. Is it the belt thats squeaking, ones of the pulleys or an accesory like the alternator?

I don't know what's squeeking, its an intermittent squeek though, and i can hear it best when listening at the right hand front wheel

Ph1
If its intermittent problem and everything looks ok and youve had a quick check to see the conditions of the aux pulleys and belt then id probably blame it on the cold and damp weather.

If it continues its most likely a worn pulley bearing.

Dont take chances in this area if you belive it is that

**Edited

NEVER put WD40 on the rubber belts. It perishes rubber and in anycase isnt a lube type oil

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
^^ thanks mate

Anyways it's booked in for the aux belt to be changed aswell as the tensioner and pulleys. Think i'm going to have the cambelt replaced too.
The former owner had the both replaced 2 years ago, but i've never felt completly at ease, even though i have the invoice that proves it.
So if i have them both replaced now by my dealer (who is absolutly superb), maybe i'll get some peace of mind