ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeeky steering wheel, is my PAS fluid low ?

Hi, I have a squeeky steering wheel, and thought it could be my power steering wheel fluid, howeever I can really tell what level my fluid is at, the plastic seems to think to see what the level of fluid is at inside. I have taken this pic of the bottle, show seems empty to me..
photo0006fs1.jpg

Do you think this needs topping up ? If so how much approx shuld I put in (Ias I said I cant tell how much(if any) is in the bottle cos I cant see a level through the bottle. Also where do I get this fluid from ? Is it a case of going into Halfords and buying it or is it special Renault stuff only ?

Many thanks..

HBT 172 Cup
Doesnt need topping up. Squeaky wheel? are you sure the auxilary belt that powers the power steering isnt a bit undertensioned?

Turn the car on from cold and full lock it and it will squeal if it is. It shouldnt when the car is warmed up however.

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I'm also getting a funny noise from the steering, but when I turn the car on from cold I get a high pitch squeek, is this an under tightened aux belt aswell?

Also not sure if this is in my head or not but the steering I think seems a bit heavier than normal, checked the tyre pressures and they are OK.

Pump maybe on its way out there not amazing they always make a noise best try draining and refilling the system.

Thanks for your replys. My car is on 37K miles now, and the AUX belt was not changed on my 36K service! (not sure if this is normal, because it says in the service book it should have been done, but apparently to do the aux belt is a big job) So I have my car booked in, in Feb for the cam belt, and aux belt change (both for £300 at a Renault gaurage,should be £370) so hopefully that will sort it. If it remains I'll attempt to drain/refill as you suggest Edde.

Thanks for your replys. My car is on 37K miles now, and the AUX belt was not changed on my 36K service! (not sure if this is normal, because it says in the service book it should have been done, but apparently to do the aux belt is a big job) So I have my car booked in, in Feb for the cam belt, and aux belt change (both for £300 at a Renault gaurage,should be £370) so hopefully that will sort it. If it remains I'll attempt to drain/refill as you suggest Edde.

Aux belt is a 2.7 hour job and should be done. Thats probably your problem belts gone slack a new one will fix it.
If you don't have the belt changed you run the risk of the belt braking which 99.9% of the time it also takes out the cambelt and the valves so its a £1k bill at absolute best to fix with a cheap garage and second hand engine.