ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stalling of the engine

Hi everybody,

I own a 2001 Clio 1.6 16 V Dynamique, and up till a week ago it was fine, when all of a sudden when I was in front of a traffic light at idle speed the engine started to sputter when suddenly the engine went off. When I star-ted it up again, the indicator of the electrics went on. So I went to my local dealership and they found an electronic disturbance. So when I took the car back home, no problems. Then the next day I had to go to work,( yeah, youve guessed it ) when I was driving slowly now the engine stalled Only this time another indicator light went on, the one of the catalyst, they had to put my car on the truck, they thought one of the coils, wrong again! So now I leave the dealership with mixed emotions, wondering what next? Then by the third time, they knew me already :) So theyve replaced a part that has something to do with the accelerator, apparently its all electrics these days, bloody f**king stuff !! It went OK for a day or two, then again, but this time when I turned on the ignition, the indicator light was out, so theyve checked it again on a Saturday, I was really pissed off by all this, I told them so, so that fourth time, they took out an electrical fault, and know its up and running again, but for how long eh ? They will have to inspect it thorougly yet trust the French to do anything right :) So, does anyone have got any clue what is causing this mayhem annoying situation ?? Thanks!

Dynamique75

It could be the Engine speed sensor...

This seems to be happening a lot on new french cars :S

My driving instructor had same problem with his citroen c3

Tell em you want a new one, If the new one goes wrong, tell em you want a re-fund and buy somet different.

Thnkx nfbr, will get to it :mad: , dont think Ill buy a different car though, its costing enough money as it is :( alright, thanks again mate!

Dynamique75

I always thought it was the ecus fault not managing the auto choke right. I cant be arsed to fix it though...

-Rob

Skoda Fabia vRS

ask for your ECU to be updated

and also, wait for the lights to go out on the dash before you start the car, well, the ones that go out after a few seconds

I had very similar problem on a early mk2 1.2 sport it ended up that the coils had over heated and broken in a section they replaced them and job sorted first time it happend to me i was going 95 on the m25 and the engine stalled took the power steering and the servo assisted brakes with it so got free set of oz racing f1 cup alloys and £400 out of renault uk so play it up a bit next time it happens

get them to check the throttle body, its a known fault as far as I know. If it aint that they should have updated the ecu when you went in the first time, ask them if they have. Also, dont know how well this works (have been told very well) the ecu should have a list of encountered faults when the computer is inserted, this apparently points them in the right direction (BUT IT NEVER DOES IN MY EXPERIENCE)

Play hell with them and say you have no confidence in the car and demand another, new one. Wont cost you anything and its all their fault. After 3 consecutive faults (the same one) you can return the car and DEMAND a replacement or full refund. Its called rejecting the car, bet a few on here have done it ;)

Hi again,

Well, I think theyve already reset the ECU :D but the idle speed is still not what its supposed to be. Next week I will take it back to the dealer. Its for them to sort out.

Thanks to all for the replies, and Ill let you know what happens :sleep: so have good weekend to all, bye for now.

Dynamique75 :D

S

SoundWave

I had a similar prob last week in my 2001 1.2

I was driving down a road at about 40-50 and the indicator light came on and it stalled. I restarted it and it was alright until I got to the roundabout at the end of the road. As the revs got low it stalled again with no indicator lights except this time it wouldnt start. It just stalled straight away everytime. Not good in morning rush hour traffic in the rain! No one got out to help push...

Anyway I got the AA guy out and he checked the spark plugs, leads and fuel pump but couldnt find anything wrong. Before he towed me to a nearby Reno dealer he had me put some petrol in just to be sure but it didnt help.

After a day of Reno saying they were too busy to have a look at it my Dad had a go at them on the phone :) and they got around to it.

It didnt take them long. Apparently there was something wrong in the wiring loom, a loose wire to do with the immobiliser i think. Anyway it seemed to fix the problem although today it didnt feel quite right...

Will let you know if it happens again.

Good luck!

Hi Soundwave,

I know what you mean mate, it stalled every time at either idle speed or low revs. Now it seems to be better, but not yet quite good. At idle, it seems to rev up and down irregularly and then the car slightly shakes, first I thought it was me :confused: then I noticed it was the car after all :mad:. It also happened during rush hour to me. The only thing wrong with my car now is the idle speed its just too irregular and the shaking :cry:.

Theyve checked the coils, the spark plugs and the ECU apparently, still have to go next week :(

A loose wire eh, well trust them to find and fix it right away eh, I really get the distinct feeling that Renault are really muppets, as said earlier in this forum.

Im in the Netherlands here, and it seems to be the same sh*tty service as you guys have in the UK !

Maybe they need to install BOSCH electronics, at least the Germans get the electrics right ;), anyway, good luck to you and all mate, Ill let you know what happens next.

Greetz from Dynamique75

SOLOW my Clio is 2 mths old and it keeps cutting out its a 1.2 16v theyve done an ecu update and it sorted the hunting and not the stalling and I am not happy along with a list of other faults!!! whats this about rejecting the car ive done 2800 miles in it now and I dont want to "have to live with it" like Renault keep saying. Can I get my money back or a brand new replacement, the lady in Renault told me theyd possibly exchange it for a car the same age and mileage,but I dont want that as at least I know exactly what ive done in my car from new!!! And id like to see them find one!!! My car is immaculate not a mark on it.

I have a 2001 1.2 Sport, it had always been perfect, but over the past couple of months the revs are dodgy when sat in traffic, they hunt around, and every few seconds they go really low and you expect it to stall and the engine shakes, and exhaust coughs. Have it booked in this week for an oil leak, what else can i point them towards? Cant really be the ecu as it used to be perfect. I use Shell fuel, and make sure it has frequent long blasts.

Cheers

Andrew.

I have a 16v 1.2 (2001), a few months ago i was driving and the engine just lost all power, it didnt stall though. I restarted and it was fine for a while before it did it again. It took it to the dealer and they replaced the computer on warranty, i have had no trouble since.

My dad had the same problem in his Clio, turned out to be the turbo naffed up (diesel).

S

SoundWave

I would have to say that my car has done 45K miles and up to last week has had no problems at all.

Coming home from a mates house tonight it was very erratic at low revs giving a jumpy ride when pulling away, although it seemed to get better once it had been going for a while.

If it gets any worse I will take it back and see if Reno can do anything...