ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

standard 172 on track....

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Is it ok to do so?
I wont be doing loads of track days as such but want to get some in next year.
Have been thinking about getting bucket seats etc and changing the steering wheel but have had second thoughts as to wether its worth it for the odd occasion.
I already have all the polybushed components and cooksport springs so my thinking was to just put the money into new brakes, fluids and tyres.
If I love it to much I will get the buckets/cage etc.

If you have had experience with standard seats on track let me know how you got on.
I was thinking of just taking out the rear bench for the day maybe?

Volvo S40
I've just done a track day in my mostly standard 182 and it was faultless all day, really is such a capable little car. My only mods are new shocks, cooksport springs, induction, exhaust, sabelt steering wheel. Brakes were standard.
I ran on standard wheels with pirelli tyres in the morning and then R888s in the afternoon which made a massive difference.

I'd put your money into brakes and tyres like you've said and refreshing the suspension if it's a high mileage car.

Standard seats were fine for me also, although one thing I would suggest is trying the CG lock. It effectively locks the lap part of your standard seat belt to stop your hips coming up out of the seat under braking and in corners. I was sceptical but it's a brilliant piece of kit if you don't want to stretch to buckets and harnesses!

Volvo S40
Another thing I forgot to say was I'm a complete novice so even in mostly standard form, the car is still more capable than me. I'll probably spend a bit of money on some tuition next time - before I look at upgrading anything else!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Car is only on 52k, on cooksports, standard discs with mintex pads, induction kit, sports cat back, mapped.

Did you find the cooksports good on track?

Volvo S40
Car is only on 52k, on cooksports, standard discs with mintex pads, induction kit, sports cat back, mapped.

Did you find the cooksports good on track?

I thought they were pretty good tbh, I didn't experience much body roll. I'm assuming decent coilovers would be significantly better but for me that was hard to justify on a ~£2k car when I'll only be doing 3-4 track days a year. It's also my daily and I wanted it to remain bearable on rubbish public roads hence went with the cooksports as a compromise (and new cup shocks all round as my car had done 100k).

Swift Sport
Lee, you're speaking so much sense... Don't get sucked in by thinking you need this or that for trackdays. Decent brakes and tyres and some tuition and you'll be one of the quickest Clio's on track that day, and you'll be grinning from ear to ear :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I know, I know. Need to man up and book one I think.
Let me get some new brakes on it and some cup shocks and im on it.

Do the day with me in november. Book it, not think about it. I was nervous as hell the first time but i went with two other mates (ep3's), had a great day and i was quicker than both

Because racecardriver

Swift Sport
If you're scared of crashing try an easier track to get to grips with like Bedford Autodrome... Plenty of room to skid or spin without hitting anything.

172 Turbo
A few of us are doing Bedford on 14th November. I've crashed at Bedford at 90mph, going way off the track and not hit anything. Don't try that a Oulton!

I've got a 172 Cup, it's got Toyo 888s, solid engine mounts, cooksports, all new front suspension & bushes, DS2500s with good fluid and has done 5 track days this year. In standard trim with decent tyres, suspension & brakes, you'll find the car is better than the driver!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Hilarious.
I'm not scared of crashing, Ive had plenty a motocross crashes and broken bones. More scared of the car shatting itself and being 3 hours from home lol.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, can you just pick me up from the gravel patch at oulton mate.
Mist of parked it here last night while out on the piss. Didn't track it though, true story.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
doesnt matter if you tracked it or broke down on the moon does it?.

Ive not looked into breakdown cover but at worst i can tow you onto the main road

172 Turbo
breakdown cover
Guy broke down on trackday I was on last week, AA refused to tow him home as it was private property! Despite their cover T&Cs saying they'll recover from track days, their T&Cs allow them to refuse recovery unless you can provide express permission for them to enter the private property.

172 Turbo
Ah fair enough. Its a risk you take with any car you take on track
As I own a decent tow car, I'm going to invest in a trailer.
Means when I'm doing a couple of hours to a track I can have a/c and comfort rather than arriving with a headache and backpain!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the rub with a track car sadly. Put me off travelling further than oulton (an hour) id like to do cadwell so thats on the hit list

172 Turbo
I used to have a caged throttle bodied MI16 205, we did hour upon hour in that car. I guess I'm getting old!

Trailer will mean I'm able to go a little more hardcore with the Clio and remove that "oh it might break" thought that comes when you see others being recovered.