ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 182 Exhaust

Just wondering why so many people on here replace their exhaust. I think the standard one is great - quiet when your dotting around town and unique when you open things up.

Ok, so it's not as loud as say the after market stuff or evos/imprezas but neither is the m3, ctr etc...

I imagine it's because most people like a booming exhaust rather than a relatively quiet one?

I don't know if this is the best word to describe the standard exhaust but from outside I think it sounds raspy and serious.

I actually used to have a big pico system on my old 1.2 which was loud as fook but it wasn't unique and the magnex, blueflame etc.. from what I've heard don't seem to be anything special.

For me I'd rather have uniqueness than something that sounds boy racer-ish but I imagine a lot of you would disagree so tell me what the attraction is! :)

Alfa 147 GTA
Yeah i think exactly the same. I've left the standard exhaust on the valver (with a decat) and think it sounds just right, nice and quiet but purposeful at slow speeds but when you floor it it sounds just right, not embarrasingly loud.

I was chatting to a bloke down at Ktec and he was saying that a new exhaust would hardly do anything other than maybe even lose a couple of horses and sound louder. You'd need a remap to see the gain. I've heard this before, is this right?

Reckon i'll only ever change my exhaust when it falls off :)

Clio 182 Mondeo Ghia Est
I also run a couple of motorbikes and changing the exhaust and re-jetting my 1200 Bandit gave me a 20% increase in power. The exhaust was strangling the poor thing! Exhausts have to be designed by the manufacturers to pass noise limtis as well as emissions, both of which restrict the engine power. Why do you think F1/MotoGP is so noisy? The less you have restricting the exhaust leaving the engine the better it is but it needs to be equal for all cylinders. You need to strike a balance between what sounds nice and what sounds offensive.

Alfa 147 GTA
but can slapping a great big exhaust on there not actually reduce power? Something about the back pressure?

172 mk2 Iceberg
I allways thought you wanted more back pressure at low rpm
and less back pressure at high rpm

I used to have a yamaha Rd 350 motor bike that had a restrictor in the
exhaust pipe that moved via a motor at higher revs to open the flow down the pipe,it was called ypvs yam power valve system

I have wondered why such a system has not been made for the cars

I did see ,i think it was an austin martin that had a vacume hose going to the rear box,and at higher revs diverted the flow and noise past the baffles

Clio 182 Mondeo Ghia Est
The system does need to be balanced. It makes sense that you have to let whatever is going in one end to get out the other as efficiently as poss. Must admit, not too sure where back-pressure fits into the equation although I must say I just re-mapped my ECU week-end before last via fastchip.nl and can't say I notice the difference much (could be because trendy wife won't let me loose often enough). But that may be because I need to get an exhaust to release the power??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the way i was told it having high back pressure gives more low down power/torque but less high end power and having a big bore with low back pressure gives you less power down low but more power when your screaming at high revs

172 mk2 Iceberg
yup Martin this was what i was thinking........

so a dump valve before the final box that opens at 4k and closes under 4k would be good ?

allowing for a quiet system under normal driving but with the foot down all hell gets let loose and so does the power...

maybe cutting half a second off the 0 to 60 times ?

R.I.P 182
I like the look and sound of the 182 exhaust, but as mine is fooking loud (6x4 oval exit, custom powerflow) i prefer cars abit louder.. well, not roaring at high revs, but purring at low revs.. makes me moist lol!

MY04 Scooby STi
I changed my system, got a custom system with a decat. Now it has a lovely burble at idle, screams at high revs but is sedate when Im crusing.

And the standard exhaust was taken off with less then 12k on the clock and it was already rusting away and would have needed replacing soon anyway

Clio 172 mk2
I wouldn't say the std exhaust is great but it's certainly better than some massive, quad piped bulls**t that makes your ears bleed at all speeds.

LY V6 with Recaros
I changed my system, got a custom system with a decat. Now it has a lovely burble at idle, screams at high revs but is sedate when Im crusing.

And the standard exhaust was taken off with less then 12k on the clock and it was already rusting away and would have needed replacing soon anyway

Really, they start rusting so soon? Mines done over 12k now, I hope it doesn't go yet! Although would be a good excuse for a new one :)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I think they're a little small as standard but to be fair,i have a standard system with a decat and it does sound the nuts right now.

I think it sounds raspy and serious.

IMO the standard exhaust on 182 sounds anything but raspy and serious.

Emmissions noise regs etc etc have made all cars sound the same. I used to own a 205gti with standard exhaust which sounded serious. My first car was an 850 mini even that sounded more serious then a standard 182!

BMW M3
I replaced mine with a Janpeed and is better in everyway IMO.

1. Nice slash cut bigger pipes look much better in the bumper.

2. Actually has a nice burble around town and sounds lovely when horsing it... but not too loud or boomy ( i hate that - chavy)

3. The old system when i took it off looked on it last legs and was fecking heavy. (janspeed 8kg lighter - only one back box)

4. Janspeed will last alot longer and a replacement std 182 exhaust is not cheap.

5. Better power at high revs.... although agree with the low down torque, did notice that. Still... more bhp.

So in my opinion... much better to go for a aftermarket exhaust that suits your requirements.

^^ I'm not aware of any other car that sounds like a 182 :S

an inline 4 whether its in a focus or a 182 that complies to noise and emissions regs is going to sound very similar.

What did Renault do to the 182 exhaust to make it sound so 'unique'? It has a cat and three silencers and a small bore not a recipe for a 'serious' sound.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i also have a standard system on my cup. Imo on these engines most aftermarket zorsts do NOTHING. (maybe btb or yozza, but where is the proof?) Some people on here have actually lost power on before and after RR sesions. Yes they are made from kitkat wrappers, and last around 20k, but for performance they are fine, like the 205 gti's, standard systems were best. Cant stand the boom clios give on the motorway, does me head in!

Nissan 350Z
^^ Problem is, they are bloody expensive for something that only lasts 20k.

If they were built better, i dare say i might not have bothered with my blueflame. OK its a bit keener, and i think it looks better, and its certainly louder, but i can honestly say it doesnt give me a stiffy or anything. But it had been back to the dealers twice already for exhaust problems with the std one.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i just buy em off ebay, picked up one for 60 quid cat back and had only done 5k, bargin. Dont get me wrong they certainly look better, but first i had a magnex on the cup, centre section baffles went, then got a pro speed, and that was too loud (but was selling the car @ the time, hense why i sold it) About to decat the standard an i think it'll be just right.

BMW M3
The reason i got one (janspeed) initially was for looks.. then sound coming in 2nd. Performance wasnt really an issue. Dont care if ive lost a few bhp, although anything must be better then std and all the silencers eh?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
but not if you've lost a few bhp?

by all accounts the janspeed aint too loud, but the clio must be the worst car i've been in for resonance and boom :(

BMW M3
I dont think i have lost bhp.. just saying i didnt mind. I does seems to rev free-er and def feels faster then std (although other mods obviously)

I dont know a great deal about exhaust etc.. but im guessing the Janpeeds and other types have less silencers and thus restrictions then the std one.

And i dont find it boomy on the motorway... where as the std was, and didnt sound great.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Hi to all :)
Yea I agree with Justin, I went through two centre boxes from Renault before changing to Blue flame after getting fed up with tinny sound n rattles of std. Im much happier with how it looks & sounds but sometimes feel its a bit loud. Makes me smile when i hear the woosh at 3000 + haha !

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
ummm because they fall apart ?! i had a new one put on last week ... its being replaced as we speak as its shite

Lionel Richie
i also have a standard system on my cup. Imo on these engines most aftermarket zorsts do NOTHING. (maybe btb or yozza, but where is the proof?) Some people on here have actually lost power on before and after RR sesions. Yes they are made from kitkat wrappers, and last around 20k, but for performance they are fine, like the 205 gti's, standard systems were best. Cant stand the boom clios give on the motorway, does me head in!

you drive a standard 172/182 with one of our systems on, i'll bet you £100 you'll notice a difference in performance

MY04 Scooby STi
i just buy em off ebay, picked up one for 60 quid cat back and had only done 5k, bargin. Dont get me wrong they certainly look better, but first i had a magnex on the cup, centre section baffles went, then got a pro speed, and that was too loud (but was selling the car @ the time, hense why i sold it) About to decat the standard an i think it'll be just right.

I felt a difference with mine

clio 200 F4Rt
we had our system designed and made for the following reasons...

1) increase in bhp
2) increase in torque
3) far lighter than standard system
4) better materials and welds - last forever
5) better asthetics
6) better sound.

we achieved all of the above.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if people posted the proof of a power increase i'd quite happily beleive you ;)

by the way i'm not disputing the fact that they are made cheap and are heavier, its just the so called 'performance increase' aftermarkets are all supposed to give

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd have on at the drop of a hat, if it say made 5bhp, was nice and light like i beleive yozza's is, and wasnt noisy (think i'm turining gay) The resenance off the systems i had was just painfull, especially if your knackerd, the last thing i want is a boomy zorst.