ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard Headunit Radio not saving

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
As I have just got my 182, I have taken out all the audio equipment from my 1.2. So the problem is I have put the standard headunit back in, I have the radio code for it which does work, but everytime the car is switched off the code needs entering again, what can i do to resolve this.

Clio 182
Sounds like the switched and permanent lives have been swapped over at some point? The permanent 12V is normally yellow, and the switched live red.

If they are crossed then it loses what it thinks is its permanent live every time the ignition is switched off and hence loses all its settings and code.

So id give swapping the red and yellow wires around a go, with the battery negative removed as the permanent live will spark, this is why most aftermarket loom adaptors have bullet connectors on these two cables so you can swap them quickly.

Hope this helps, lemme know how you get on,

Pete

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I will have a look at the weekend, i had that problem when i put an aftermarket headunit in before, but the standard unit, will only allow the wires into certain places as they use those block connectors, I went to Renault and they said to also check the 12v fuse as that is linked to the stereo somehow, but will try at the weekend.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do as suggested above, swap the R/Y wires over. Should be bullet connectors.

Renault here are proving my point before I've begun...

It appears 99% of their staff know NOTHING. Be it about fuses as they dont rate them by voltage (clearly if the fuse had blown it wouldn't work anyway at any time)... or about anything else to do with cars what so ever. (Find the 'funniest thing a dealer said to me' thread) Some of them don't even know they made 2 litre Clios.

Don't ever take your car to Renault for anything. Ren-o-tec in Portsmouth for servicing for instance, they will be far cheaper and a better level of customer service too !!

Clio 182
yeah thats a good one, better check that the 24V fuses are all good as well huh ;)

If youve got a multimeter about id just double check that the sockets in the connector block are actually located correctly with regards to the headunit, the head unit will have a sticker on it probably saying what each pin is for. Identify the permanent 12v and the switched live pins, and then look at the corresponding sockets on the connector. Check between the ground socket and the permanent live socket that youve got 12V all the time and that you get 12V between the switched and ground when you turn the ignition on.

Just looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual (for a non-sport, I would of thought its the same though) that the permanent live in this case is Red, the switched is Yellow, which is backwards to how I normally find it, but thats why they build the connector looms with the breaks.

If the permanent is there and the switched is there, going to the right pins it should work.

All the best,

Pete