ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Start button instead of a key.

Mkll Ph1
Recently had the pleasure of driving my uncles Bmw which uses a start button instead of a key and i think it was honestly my favorite feature of the car. ~

So basically I'm wondering if theres anyway to convert my old ph1 to a start button instead of the key ignition?

197ff, 172
Yeah fling a start switch in it and wire it to the ignition, its straight forward to do but you will need to use the key so the immobiliser and steering lock work. My 197 has keyless entry and start etc its awesome, but I would imagine retro fitting something like that would be difficult and expensive.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
to be honest it is fairly cheap to do, just tricky.
you can get the bits of ebay or places like deamon tweeks. i put one on my kit car

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It is novel, but I wouldn't go about retro fitting one.

The wort things about it are

losing/forgetting your keys because they never leave your pocket

Leaving the car with the keys in the cup holder because you didn't have sufficient pockets. That never fails to draw a s**t out.

Switching from keyless to keyed cars and hitting your thumb on the centre console of the other car because there isn't a button there... Stupid peugeot.

The best things are

looking awesome as you don't get keys out to open or start the car

when people ask "omg where are your keys?!" - this actually never happens

^Aye, I thought when I got my first keyless car as a 19 year old people would be impressed by it, but absolutely no f**ks are given by anyone :dapprove:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I've done it to my old Megane. It's easy enough to do but I've had to create a little security circuit to stop any old person from starting it. Immobiliser is easy to bypass as is the steering lock (just take the fucker out!) but I believe without a steering lock its an mot fail

LY FF182
I did it properly on my old corsa. No steering lock, no immobiliser. Toggle switch in the dash for ignition and a button to start. Was a right laugh when people try starting it normally and it doesn't work haha. I found it really cool for ages. Not hard either