ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Start up issues

1.2 16V Dynamique
Apologise if this should go in the mechanical section, wasnt to sure, seems to be more about modding in that section :p

So I’ve recently bought (10 days ago) a 2002 1.2 Dynamique from my local Renault stealer. Everything is generally great and a massive improvement over my last car.

Anyway to get to the point 80% of the time my car has not be used for 6 hours+ I have trouble getting the thing running. I have to turn the engine over several times before I can get it going. Today I did an 8 hour shift at work. Drove there this morning and the car was fine. When I came to the car 8 hours later it took me nearly 10 minutes to get the thing to work. Rather embarrassing after you’ve been showing off to all your mates that you’ve got a new car etc. However once the car is running, it’s fine and if I’m ferrying people about and using/starting the car every few hours or so it starts fine also.

I’m most probably going to take it back to Renault some time this week and get them to have a look at it. Unfortunately my mechanical knowledge of cars is pretty pants and so I’d like a rough idea of what the problem could be before Renault try and fob me off with some excuse.

I was thinking it could possibly be the battery. The car had been sat on a forecourt for God knows how long and might just need a good charge? Seems strange that the car does start eventually though.

Spark plugs… I’ve got no idea what part these play in the engine bay but sounds like it could have something to do with getting the engine running? Getting these changed might do the trick?

If any of you mechanical geniuses have any suggests they would be much appreciated.

1.2 16V Dynamique
matteiuk. I've been reading about this and several people have said the same thing. The TDC sensor just needs a good clean.

I don't suppose anyone has any pics of where exactly i can find the TDC sensor do they? or could provide a decent explantion of where i can find it, taking into account my useless mechanical knowledge.

Vauxhall corsa x2
is it covered by a used car warrenty? would be about £100 inc. labour, if not.
It needs a new sensor £20,
probably a new loom section £20 (because the connector changed after a certain age),
fitting (only two 10mm bolts and a bit of soldering if the loom is needed),
then a clip check to erase the fault ('flywheel signal' or similar).

1.2 16V Dynamique
Yes it came with a 1 year warranty. I've only had it 10 days so i'm deffiantly not forking out any cash to fix it. It had a service and M.O.T done the day before i picked it up too.
I'll see if i can give this TDC sensor a clean tomrrow myself. If not i'll take it to Renault and kick up a fuss.

Last edited:
  Vauxhall corsa x2
its located right at '12 o'clock', where the bell housing meets the block. will probably be under a few water pipes but it fairly easy to get to. it has a metal frame about 3inches long with a black plastic bit that points down, in the middle of it. two 10mm bolts hold the frame at either end and theres just one connector with two wires. its a hall effect sensor so the only bit worth cleaning is the electrical connections, but 99% of the time it'll need a new one.

J03

MX5 1.8
i think i have the same problem.. i posted a thread on the mechanical section but it didnt really seem to gather many feedback... possible that section isnt as busy.. but yeah i have the same problem.. had it a month now its played up ocasionally on start up...

is it covered by a used car warrenty? would be about £100 inc. labour, if not.
It needs a new sensor £20,
probably a new loom section £20 (because the connector changed after a certain age),
fitting (only two 10mm bolts and a bit of soldering if the loom is needed),
then a clip check to erase the fault ('flywheel signal' or similar).
£25 for the sensor
£25 for the loom
The looms never chnaged the sesnor chnaged and the new loom is there to help ensure the sensor and loom don't fail.

i think i have the same problem.. i posted a thread on the mechanical section but it didnt really seem to gather many feedback... possible that section isnt as busy.. but yeah i have the same problem.. had it a month now its played up ocasionally on start up...

Thats because theres seemingly less and less people on here willing to help or post anything productive.

TDC sounds like the most likly porblem there always failing.