ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Start up issues!

172 cup, Impreza P1
After getting over the immobiliser issues that were plaguing me, I've now moved onto another issue.

Got the base map loaded onto the ecu, did a final level check and took the plunge to fire it up. Turned over a few times them on the 3rd try it fired up with a healthy roar then settled into a stable idle for about 10secs.

Then I heard a screech and it cut out. Couldn't get it to fire up again and when turning it over it sounded like it didn't want to fire but still turned over. Checked it all turned by hand which it did but felt very stiff at TDC like it was seized slightly. Removed all the spark plugs to see how it turned over by hand but it still felt very tight at TDC.

I'm hoping it's an issue with the head as its a bog standard ph1 head. The cams have had the oil ways welded up for the dephaser supply and the cam cover is not matched to the head but when I built it up it was checked for size and seemed ok. All rotated freely after the belts were fitted.

Suggestions welcome on thoughts what the screech was and why it won't even try to fire. I can take a vid tomorrow if it would help anyone.

The bottom end is forged built by a reputable engine builder which I bought as a built short block, the inlet manifold is custom, custom vernier pulleys which i have checked and they haven't slipped.

Im going to check the timing and then look at removing the cam cover and see what's to see. Any thoughts??

Last edited:
  Trophy Turbo :)
Out of daftness mate, slacken off the rocker bolts and try to turn over by hand see if this makes it easyer ( un matched rocker being tight)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Out of daftness mate, slacken off the rocker bolts and try to turn over by hand see if this makes it easyer ( un matched rocker being tight)

Will do mate, cheers for that idea!

Can see this thing heading your way soon mate as I've just about had enough and don't have time to keep fu*king about with it.