ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor location in F4R

'05 182, '09 Golf
Hello, never posted here but I've been forced to as I'm on a bit of a timeframe to fix this.. Before I start ripping my clio apart, could someone kindly tell me where the starter motor is located in the F4R engine of my 182?

Edit: or if you could provide me a link to an F4R diagram, that would be incredible too.

​Thanks in advance!!

S4 Avant
back of the engine, under the exhaust manifold, above the drivers side drive shaft and power steering rack. Good luck.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With a 182 manifold, its not too bad to do IME, just undo it and slide it back a bit and it gives you enough room to slide the start out (need to undo from the exhaust as well to make it easier and you may need to jack the engine up a bit), but no need to take shafts out or even a wheel off.

Dont get me wrong, its fiddly, but nothing is in your way other than the manifold.

'05 182, '09 Golf
You've all saved my arse. Cheers for the speedy response and such. Gonna be spending tonight + tomorrow out on my drive I suspect..

To help you out a bit...

Since there is a lot of people saying getting the starter motor out of a 182/172 is hard/a tricky job. And you need to unbolt the exhaust etc. Thought I would make this.

I manage to get the starter motor in and out within 10 minuets using this method.

1) Remove the engine cover and air box. Disconnect battery.

2) Jack the car up and put on axle stands, remove the drives side wheel.

3) Remove the bumper (you might not need to do this, but mine was off anyway)

4) Remove the heat shield from the starter, it just pulls off.

5) Remove the live and earth, one is a spade connector (just puts off) and the other is a 13mm nut iirc.

6) Now unbolt the 3, 16mm bolts holding the starter to the gearbox (tried but couldn't get a photo of them) I found it easier to access them from the top.

7) Pull the the wiring cogent, that runs over the top of the starter with the live and earth in it out of the way. Then the starter is ready to come out.

8) Pull the starter out and try and aim it towards the back to the bulk head, you will need to twist the starter just slightly to get it out.

9) After you get the the starter like this below then it should just pull straight out.

10) Just do the reverse to fit the starter back in.

Only problem I had was getting the heat shield back on. But didn't have any problems leaving it off.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Indeed just a 13mm nut for main live and a spade for the trigger wire.
​and I can't even begin to imagine how taking the bumper off helps tbh.

The bumper off helps when it's up on axle stands and your leaning over and working at the back of the engine. Gives you a bit more space to get closer to the car and will stop you scratching it...

Got confused with the live and earth and just presumed that what it was. And have heard/seen people call it that as well. But anyway if you follow the steps you will get the stater out ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The bumper off helps when it's up on axle stands and your leaning over and working at the back of the engine. Gives you a bit more space to get closer to the car and will stop you scratching it...

Got confused with the live and earth and just presumed that what it was. And have heard/seen people call it that as well. But anyway if you follow the steps you will get the stater out ;)

Given that all you need to undo are bolts at the back of the engine, I really cant imagine how anyone could possibly scratch the front bumper doing so?

I must have changed at least half a dozen starters on 172/182 clios, and Ive never scratch a front bumper doing so or needed to remove the front bumper to do so.