ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Starter Motor Gone (182)

luketheduck

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 182; Octy vRS 245
Is there any known design 'issue' with the 182 starter motor, or its location or something? Yesterday mine wouldn't start, the AA helped me bump start so does look like another starter motor has failed on me.

That's 2 that have gone now in the 3 years I've owned it - with the latest only being fit less than 18 months ago.

I think I might have read somewhere that they get too hot due to location in the engine bay... is that a thing? Or is there some other issue?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Is there any known design 'issue' with the 182 starter motor, or its location or something? Yesterday mine wouldn't start, the AA helped me bump start so does look like another starter motor has failed on me.

That's 2 that have gone now in the 3 years I've owned it - with the latest only being fit less than 18 months ago.

I think I might have read somewhere that they get too hot due to location in the engine bay... is that a thing? Or is there some other issue?
It is a thing…you are still using the OEM heat shield yeah?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's only really a thing when there's no heatshield fitted.

Also they can have the little exciter wire come off which makes it look like the starter isn't working.

Fit a proper unit which i believe is Bosch.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

How's the wiring?

luketheduck

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 182; Octy vRS 245
Hmmm not sure whether the heatshield is in place, I would like to think it is!

Forgive my ignorance, but can you see the starter motor/heatshield from looking down into the engine bay - it's at the back right? (I'm a complete novice when it comes to mechanical stuff 😁) I'll have a look tomorrow.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You shouldn't be able to see the starter from above because the heat shield should be covering it. This is it from the drivers wheel arch (arch liner removed) and on the left is the exhaust manifold and the wiggly bit is the heat shield that is clipped between the starter motor and the solenoid.
IMG_20210829_130555.jpg

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
16 years old, 93,000 miles subjected to a short work commute for many years and on its original starter motor..

it’s defiantly all about the heat shield and keeping the starter & wiring covered.. I’ve had friends with failed starters and got start issues due to wiring damage from heat.

the Renault 5 gtt’s have the same problem, people ripping through starter motors and no one’s got heat shield on. I’ve actually fitted a clio 182 starter heatshield on my Renault 5gtt as it’s more modern and fitted nice and tight.