ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor woe?

I'm no mechanic, but before i attempt and do this could someone possibly confirm this for me.

My OHs car (206, 1.1 8v) just suddenly stopped as she was pulling onto the drive. When you try and start the car, it makes the sound a car makes when the engine is already turned on and you try and turn it over. I think, it's a solenoid sound in the starter motor? Like a high pitched screech.

I tried hitting it with a hammer - didn't work.

The car is old, not worth anything and the repair bill wouldn't be justified. It's not long had it's MOT and the TAX is due soon. A scrap yard will collect it and give me £50, but i think a running car would be better than £50.

I had a dry run, and got the starter motor off - to make sure i could and could fit a new one.

Does it sound like a starter motor problem? Or could it something more sinister - or even a faulty battery?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Cambelt snapped? Black plastic cover 2x 10mm bolts and slide the cover upwards, check if the belts tight/still there.

The belt is still there, and tight.

I was told on another forum to check the battery - i don't have a volt meter. Her battery has now ran flat anyway and the engine makes no noise at all when i turn the ignition over. The interior stuff comes on but thats it.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
If you have the starter motor off. connect the main terminal to the positive on a battery using a jump lead then using a screw driver touch the main terminal and solenoid terminal and starter should fire out the spindal and spin. You will get a slight spark when you do this but don't worry it won't shock you. Doing this will rule out a faulty starter or point you to a faulty one :)

Ugh i have put it back in now.

I'm stumped, i don't have jump leads, i don't have a battery charger (if i did i couldn't plug it in), I'm not a mechanic, i got scared trying to swap batteries with my car (Multiplexed 206), i can't get it to a garage and i can't justify getting a mobile mechanic out.

Stupid cars.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
it makes the sound a car makes when the engine is already turned on and you try and turn it over

This made me think cambelt, plus the fact you said it cut out? It's not going to cut out if the starter has failed, have you tried smacking the starter with a hammer while someone turns the ignition? Could be an ignition switch issue.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
As above car cutting out and the noise I would of put money on the belt duff starter wouldn't cut out a car and a dead battery would still run until stopped as the car would run off the alternator properly confused

Yah i investigated more last night, The sound is 100% coming from the cam cover. It was tight when i checked it but I'm guessing it's missing teeth/slipping - the water pumped could of seized up or something.

It's done 90k and i asked her if she ever had the cam belt done and she replied "no?".

Now to try and find someone who wants it for spares/repairs or a scrap yard to come collect it.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Turn it over with cover off that I mentioned, I have had a pug 206 that sheared the teeth off the belt around the crank pulley.

90k without a belt change though, doesn't sound promising.