ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting issues and poor running when cold

Recently my car has been running poor when cold, it is very hesitant between 1750 - 3000rpm. Then the last two days it has struggled to start, well it starts runs for a second or two and then cuts out. If I hold the throttle down a bit to let it warm, it then seems to get up to temperature and is fine thereafter. This morning I couldn't get it to run to warm up. It also has stalled a few times whilst slowing down at low revs.

Its been suggested to me that it could be the coolant temperature sensor, lambda or possibly even the actual throttle pedal. Could anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks, Nathan.

I have since replaced the coolant sensor ans the car was fine, well I thought it was. Got back from work today and the same problem, car wouldn't start. Its turning over but not firing. The throttle body is work I can hear it moving when the pedal is pushed, I can smell petrol so i guess the injectors are ok. My dads had a look at the ht leads and coil pack and there working too. Really stuck now and haven't got the money to stick it in a garage really. Anyone help please?

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Ok, what car first off? clio 1.2 / 172/ 182 ph1 / ph2 etc?
You say after changing the coolant sensor it was fine for a bit?
When you say got back from work and car wouldnt start? Was the car warmed up? etc as if so i'd be looking at your TDC sensor as this is know to cause issues when the engine where it will turn over but not catch.

172/1.2/E30
Ok, what car first off? clio 1.2 / 172/ 182 ph1 / ph2 etc?
You say after changing the coolant sensor it was fine for a bit?
When you say got back from work and car wouldnt start? Was the car warmed up? etc as if so i'd be looking at your TDC sensor as this is know to cause issues when the engine where it will turn over but not catch.

+1 on the TDC sensor.

car had been sitting all day so cold
it was turning over and you could here it fire up but would not actually run
after numerous attempts we wiggled everything under the bonnet and in the fuse box and it started
got it home and too te crank sensor off and cleaned it up
this morning and this evening it started second attempt
i have changed a crank sensor on a previous car after that just completely refused to start this one is firing and trying to start
car is a phase 2 172

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I had a problem with the heating element on my first lambda, it never stopped it starting.
Just ran like a bag o s**t for the first 5 mins
Like I said u can always swap the 2 sensors to see if thats ur prob and it won't cost u anything to check?
There was no lights on my dash with the lambda sensor fault either, do u have a light on your dash?

Last edited:
I have recently just started to get 23mpg, I normally see 33mpg with ease, I don't have a heavy right foot either! Would this also indicate that the lambda is knackered?