ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

starting out advice.

Afternoon all.

I'm thinking of slowly working my way into detailing and just learning what I can. I don't want to go all out straight away since the whole front end needs a respray anyway (nor do I have loads of money to spend)

So I was looking for some product recommendations for building a small starting pack. With my old ph1 some all in one shampoo and a little wax was enough, but PB requires a little more love. I just don't know where to start!

So any advice/ recommendations would help out (just trying not to spend a fortune)!

Not a 320d
So any advice/ recommendations would help out (just trying not to spend a fortune)!

Yeah, Dont do it.

Start with a glaze or all in one polish and top with a spray sealant like C2V3.

Build up your washing technique and washing products first, get used to treating your drying towels better than you treat your own car.

182, 172 Track Shed
Are there any starter packs available that would get a newbie up and running on the right track?

Yeah, Dont do it.

Build up your washing technique and washing products first, get used to treating your drying towels better than you treat your own car.

Might not mind spending a bit more in future, providing I progress! So far I have a small wash mitt and a drying towel, I'll need a few more those. Any recommendations for washing products too? Have already seen lots of good results with C2v3, so that's definitely on the shopping list.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yeah, Dont do it.

As above

Look for a PH nuetral non gloss enhancing shampoo. an all in one polish or glaze like autoglym SRP or autofinesse tripple then seal with C2, most of the money should go towards drying towels and a good mitt

Not a 320d
Might not mind spending a bit more in future, providing I progress! So far I have a small wash mitt and a drying towel, I'll need a few more those. Any recommendations for washing products too? Have already seen lots of good results with C2v3, so that's definitely on the shopping list.

With C2V3, as said, something that doesn't contain gloss enhancers or wax; I'll 'hide' the water behavior and self cleaning properties that you get with C2V3. I cant recommend Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild enough. Doesn't contain gloss enhancers, its slick, cleans brilliantly, doesn't 'degrade' the longevity of the sealant and smells amazing. Its pricey but you only need two to three caps per big wash bucket so itll last you. Gtechniq Gwash is just behind it in my Shampoo league table ;)

The thing you need to remember is not to get dragged into it all too much. Its a bit like the sport supplement industry - almost unregulated. So there's a lot of s**t products out there. There are also some absolutely stonking ones available too.

The reason i suggested C2V3 is because its fool proof and can be applied to just about anything (Trim, wheels, side windows, paintwork) and looks good, lasts a long time and has great water behavior. Its cost effective too IMO.

Read the stickies and watch youtube videos on wash technique. Two bucket method etc.

Id get the yellow £12 drying towels from Polished Bliss. Wash after each use and dont let them dry out. A spin in the washing machine will leave them damp and thats the best way of keeping them. They work better slightly damp too.

So:

BTBM
Washmitt
2 Buckets (theres some cheap ones on Elite Car Care IIRC - dont bother with grit guard its BS)
Yellow Plush Drying Towels
Auto Finesse Tripple or Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Gtechniq C2v3.
Megs Gold Class Tyre gel
Tyre gel Applicator
Some Short pile MF cloths (Screwfix do a pack of 50 for £25 or buy some elsewhere)

Id also stick some clay (Bilthamber) and some Iron X in there to and get that out the way before you polish and seal the paint (and wheels).

If you want to look at snowfoam Id recommend you don't bother. You'd be better off with a pre wash like Daemon Shine Rapid Dirt Shifter (Found at Halfords and supermarkets). Or buy some citrus snowfoam and dilute it in a spray bottle and use as a bug or traffic film pre cleaner.

And that is, frankly, all you will need.

Last edited:
So:

BTBM
Washmitt
2 Buckets (theres some cheap ones on Elite Car Care IIRC - dont bother with grit guard its BS)
Yellow Plush Drying Towels
Auto Finesse Tripple or Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Gtechniq C2v3.
Megs Gold Class Tyre gel
Tyre gel Applicator
Some Short pile MF cloths (Screwfix do a pack of 50 for £25 or buy some elsewhere)

Id also stick some clay (Bilthamber) and some Iron X in there to and get that out the way before you polish and seal the paint (and wheels).

Exactly what I needed!

So far my basket on cleanyourcar.com is the following:
BTBM,
AF Tripple
C2v3
Meguiars high gloss tyre gel

Saved that for now, will take a look around for drying towels and wash mitts too.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Would use CarPro with the discount code in gally's thread which is stickied to get mitt and towels etc, they sell a really nice merino wash mitt and really good quality drying towels and applicator microfibres, and they sell Iron X too.