ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problem

Hi all
Just need to pick your brains
My mother-in-law has a 52 plate 1.2 clio, only got 11,000 and she has owned it from new
when it was about 6 years old the battery died and her neighbour fitted them a new one, since then she has had the battery changed 4 times,
if she doesn't use the car every 2 days it won't start
the local garage (who supplied the first replacement battery) told her she wasn't doing enough miles to keep the battery charged, so she has been doing a pointless 40 mile trip every sunday - wasting fuel!!
today the car won't start again- father-in-law said the battery was flat
I popped in and although the car won't start the lights and everything else seem fine (didn't take my meter to check voltage)
I saw on a website to check the white wire to the solenoid and that seems fine but when you turn the key it doesn't sound like a flat battery as the starter makes a sort of grating noise-also smells a bit electricy under the bonnet
she is getting very pissed of with the car now (it also turns out the mechanic that has looked at it before at the local garage has said if they need to get rid of it he will have it cheap to help them out!!!!)
any common probs on these cars
thanks in advance
Mark

Clio 172 Phase 2
Welcome to the forum Mark.

A common problem on that engine with the starter, is the solenoid doesn't throw the pinion gear out to crank the flywheel over, they are very common to stick. If this is the case, simply removing it and giving it a good clean and grease normally sorts it out.

However the battery problem sounds possibly alternator related, as even with short journeys the battery shouldn't go dead that quickly. How short are the journeys? Ideally you could do with charging the battery overnight on a 'trickle' charge, put it on the car, let it run for 5-10 mins on idle, then put your multi meter on the battery, should be around 13 - 13.8 volts. Then go directly off the alternator, this one should read 14 - 14.5 volts. If not it's possible the alternator isn't charging the battery no matter what sort of trips are being done.

Let us know how you get on :)

Am I allowed to hijack/add to this thread? Will try here before clogging up the faults sub forum Car won't start, seems to have plenty of juice, lights, locks, radio, cd, windows etc. all work fine with no dimming at all, apart from when I try to start it. Starter motor is working hard and just as loud as usual, but the engine doesn't take. I can hear the fuel pump working as soon as I stop turning the key, after the starter stops, so I think I'm OK for fuel (also have a third of a tank).

Don't think it's the immobiliser, light goes off when I try to start it, no solid or flashing light during or after a start attempt. Alternator is good, was playing music for a good while when I was claying/polishing it, but like I said, no indications of a weak battery even now. Dash lights all OK also.

Car started up fine 12 hours ago when I moved it up the drive for a wash, wasn't on for long but it wasn't struggling. Last drove it yesterday night, and again, was absolutely sweet. I'm hoping the 6'C temp and puddles of water below it from earlier are the issue and that it'll be OK in the morning. I'll be jumping it when there's daylight too, just in case, but I'm quite sure it'll make no difference.

Does anybody have any easy to check suggestions? Else will be bothering the AA. Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Phase 2
Am I allowed to hijack/add to this thread? Will try here before clogging up the faults sub forum Car won't start, seems to have plenty of juice, lights, locks, radio, cd, windows etc. all work fine with no dimming at all, apart from when I try to start it. Starter motor is working hard and just as loud as usual, but the engine doesn't take. I can hear the fuel pump working as soon as I stop turning the key, after the starter stops, so I think I'm OK for fuel (also have a third of a tank).

Don't think it's the immobiliser, light goes off when I try to start it, no solid or flashing light during or after a start attempt. Alternator is good, was playing music for a good while when I was claying/polishing it, but like I said, no indications of a weak battery even now. Dash lights all OK also.

Car started up fine 12 hours ago when I moved it up the drive for a wash, wasn't on for long but it wasn't struggling. Last drove it yesterday night, and again, was absolutely sweet. I'm hoping the 6'C temp and puddles of water below it from earlier are the issue and that it'll be OK in the morning. I'll be jumping it when there's daylight too, just in case, but I'm quite sure it'll make no difference.

Does anybody have any easy to check suggestions? Else will be bothering the AA. Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my old 1.2 last year. Very similar symtoms, everything worked fine, but the car wouldn't start, and would crank all day. Turned out an earth strap had rotted through, replaced it and everything was fine. Although I guess from your forum name this is on a 182?

Might be worth checking the earth points anyway. Also might be worth checking the starter relay/module in the fuse box, sometimes if you remove them and clean the contacts up it can help things. Of course look for the obvious stuff like bent pins etc too. I'm not 100% how many relays etc there are on a 182 under the bonnent, but might be worth checking the lot.

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my old 1.2 last year. Very similar symtoms, everything worked fine, but the car wouldn't start, and would crank all day. Turned out an earth strap had rotted through, replaced it and everything was fine. Although I guess from your forum name this is on a 182? Might be worth checking the earth points anyway. Also might be worth checking the starter relay/module in the fuse box, sometimes if you remove them and clean the contacts up it can help things. Of course look for the obvious stuff like bent pins etc too. I'm not 100% how many relays etc there are on a 182 under the bonnent, but might be worth checking the lot.
Thanks for the response, yeah it's a 182. Turns out when moving it on the drive yesterday had caused a minor flooding. AA man put the accelerator pedal down, tried to start it for about 30 seconds and it fired up after evaporating the excess fuel!

Sorry not been on sooner but been ill
we checked the battery and it was down to 11v, jumped it off another battery and the car stated fine
the old battery shot up to 14.4 and never faultered in nearly an hour so we shut the engine down, the battery then slowly dropped to 11.9 over 10 minutes so we thought the battery was dead
went back the next day and fitted a 075 varta and the car is running better than ever, she even says it seems faster!!!
thanks for all the help
Mark