ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems after engine removal 172 (throttle main problem)

RB 182 Track Project
Hi guys,

I've removed my engine for cleaning and changing a few bits including the rack and aircon/power steering delete kit.

I refitted the engine and it started instantly but with no throttle at all, so I tried it manually with my finger in the throttle bodie, but this just cut the car out.
Anyway the car now starts but is in limp home mode and after reading the fault codes everything is about the throttle position and all related to the throttle.

My question is if I fitted a phase 1 172 pedal and throttle set up would I need to swap the ECU or would my ECU still be ok with it?

Any other help would be great thank.

53 Clio's & counting
Have you definately plugged everything back in mate?

Id guess it is a throttle body issue, needs calibrating?

As per the other thread, no no on the ph1 tb lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's because you've stuck a fat finger in there... It's a stepper controlled TB so what were you thinking? As you've tried to actuate it, which is always going to fail, it detected the torque on the throttle plate motor and simply shut down as it reports a blockage in the butterfly.

Now how to fix it?

Well there's still the possibility of the original issue being there and it wont rev but you need diags to clear the "throttle stop" code to get it out of limp mode and go from there. Hopefully you've not buggered the TB as they aren't bomb proof but usually when they won't rev at all it's because of a connection or wiring fault.

Mick

RB 182 Track Project
Thanks for the help, the throttle now works but the car is in limp home mode and won't rev above 4k even with the fault codes cleared, I'll have to look again what fault codes were registed.

Megane dci 130
It's not just a fault code that needs clearing. It's the actual memorised throttle stops. (the memorised electrical positions of shut and fully open)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can't I'm afraid, it needs CLIP to set those and possibly even REPROG as its a little worrying why/how it's lost this data.

RB 182 Track Project
Just my luck!!!

Basically this is what I've done to the car, I've removed a fully working fully running engine, I've then removed all my dash and wiring loom, I've relocated the wiring loom under the wiper motor so this isn't visible from the interior of the car, I've cut away from the loom parts that I don't need like all the air bag wires and door wiring looms as this is just for track.

The car starts and runs but ticks over around 1600 to 1800 rpm and revs to 4000 rpm max.

These are the fault codes registed:

257: Throttle position sensor circuit track 1 fault
257: Throttle position sensor circuit track 2 fault
257: Throttle position sensor circuit
298: Pedal potentiometer track 2 circuit
297: Pedal potentiometer track 1 circuit
95: Circuit pedal position sensor potentiometer fault
95: Circuit pedal position sensor coherance between track 1 and track 2

This is what the live data said:

Throttle position sensor track 1 max 18%
Throttle postiion sensor track 2 max 18.5%

I've tried a different pedal and throttle bodie on the car and then cleared the fault codes but this still doesn't work.

Is it worth rewriting the ecu using RS tuner with my old stored map? or is it worth buying and fitting a new wiring harness?

My heads blown with all this and I'm getting ready for stripping the car for parts!!!

172 cup track car
stuck at 4k is not limp mode. Limp mode is at 2k

limp mode can be anything from 2k-4k, so are you saying that the car isn't in limp mode then dan? then surely the fault must surely lay within the loom, as the loom is a canbus loom that obviously means that 1 wire will send a current to maybe 4 components etc? if the car was running spot on prior to the engine being took out, and then cutting parts of the loom whilst the engine was out, then putting everything back together and the car not running properley from the 1st turn of the key surely this must be a loom fault. i cant see the ecu dropping the memory of the throttle can it?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not stuck at 4k Dan, won't rev past 4k (how I read it anyway)

A loom fault is the most likely scenario

172 cup track car
think for the sake of what a loom will cost from a breakers, this has got to be the first port of call, as opposed to spending money on auto electricians to work on dismantled looms and spending money on this component and that component, then at least the loom is complete and something to rule out.,

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Not stuck at 4k Dan, won't rev past 4k (how I read it anyway)

A loom fault is the most likely scenario

yes, thats exactly what i meant, it gets stuck at 4k and wont rev higher. that isn't limp mode on any clio i've ever seen

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Throttle restriction problems (more commonly called "limp" mode) are so much easier to diagnose on CLIP as there are 14 different status codes alone which report why limited range/engine performance alone is being put in to effect. There's no black and white rule that says it won't r RB above 2.5k as I've seen them hold 2k, 3.5k and even 5k before. It really does depend on the problem in each case.

Some live data snippet he's got is showing pedal track 1 as 18% and track 2 at 18.5% which is borderline tolerance alone. I'd be looking at the loom around the gearbox.

Mick