ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems. Help please!!

clio 182 cup
Hi guys. I have a 54' 182 cup. I came to the car after work and the car would not start at all. There's power and the the battery is fine but nothing happens when I turn the key. Recovery driver came out and we managed to push start it. He reckoned the starter motor however while we were waiting for him to turn up we noticed the immobiliser beeping every time the car was locked/unlocked even though nothing was open. When I got the car back home I locked all the doors. No beeping. After unlocking them and trying to start it again it fired up straight away. And it's started both times I tried again just in case it was a fluke. Any ideas as to a possible cause or could just be that the starter motor is knackered. Brilliant timing as I'm due to go to Scotland on Friday for a wedding.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check the solenoid control wire to the starter motor. This is the normal culprit for non-cranking issues.

Mick

clio 182 cup
Check the solenoid control wire to the starter motor. This is the normal culprit for non-cranking issues.

Mick

Thanks mate. This is exactly what I am going to do on my break. Battery is fine as I've checked it already.

clio 182 cup
It's not beeping anymore. Turns out the immobiliser can become unsyncronised so sorted that out. Used a battery tester on the battery and that's all good. At the moment it's looking like the connector for the starter motor. Gonna get it up on the ramp after work and have a look see. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for the help so far!!

Jamie

clio 182 cup
Had the car on the ramp for a short while tonight. Took the plug off for the starter motor and gave it all a good clean. Car started fine for the first few attempts however went back to its usual ways of starting when it wants to. :/ crank sensor has been mentioned by a friend of mine however I'm travelling up to Scotland tomorrow morning for a wedding so I'm borrowing a car for the time being and I'll either have another look when I'm back or if all else fails I'll have to book it into a garage Monday morning. Work is just way too busy so finding the time to look at my own car is unlikely for the time being :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check the other end of that wire to... It's in that big black plastic box under the bonet hiding in the big white plug.

clio 182 cup
Literally not cranking. Just got back from Scotland. Car started fine the first few times I tried. But once again it didn't start after that. Thanks mick I'll have a look at that first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I might've wrong here. But if it was the crank sensor wouldn't it atleast crank, then fail to start?