ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems

cliosport
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum have had a 2001 flame red cliosport from new, gem of a car up to now have some starting issues. I have read other threads and been to renault service. A couple of things happening. Sometimes car will start fine. Sometimes kicks over but won't fire. sometimes won't kick at all. Renault guy says crank sensor has to be replaced and will solve the kicking over but no firing scenario (this confirmed in one thread). The no kicking over at all issue he puts down to sensor ring on the ignition not sensing the key as the correct one - either sensor ring faulty or key faulty and engine is immobolised - this he knows because the red immoboliser light in dash starts flashing fast when it is not reading the key properly and this happened in front of both of us. Anyone else had these issues. I'm going to spend the dosh and change the crank sensor to start with, but before doing other two things and spending more would appreciate any light that can be shed.
Thanks all. Jason

Well there two common issues you've mentioned there

The crank sensor is a common issue and does show up as the car not starting other times but make sure its not doing this when the red lights on the dash as this sins't a TDC error its the imobilier decoding ring/wiring most likly a new ones not to bad priced and a common failure.

cliosport
Thanks
Have read every other post here and all information great - I guess best to just change crank sensor and decoder ring straight up - if i have further issues then i'll have to shell out for new keys i will leave as last resort as the buggers are expensive.
you know the first time i took car to renault dealership the numbats did not tell me what problem might be - though it is apparently common. :rolleyes: Pisses you off. Left me buggering around for couple of months. This forum is a great help. :approve:

Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
Thanks
Have read every other post here and all information great - I guess best to just change crank sensor and decoder ring straight up - if i have further issues then i'll have to shell out for new keys i will leave as last resort as the buggers are expensive.
you know the first time i took car to renault dealership the numbats did not tell me what problem might be - though it is apparently common. :rolleyes: Pisses you off. Left me buggering around for couple of months. This forum is a great help. :approve:

Can I recommend you contact "topgear-hull" on this forum. Adam has just rectified exactly the same problem in my 2001 172 Exclusive. Cranking without firing combined with relays going etc shagged my battery as well in the end, so no cranking at all, never mind the firing. The business telephone number is 01482 215911 as well should you wish to have a chat. The initial fault was a wiring fault which had led to relays burning out etc... as I understand it.

Where in the country are you?

And good luck.

PS Also if juddering and not idling smoothly may require a new coil pack too....