ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hi people,

Anyway, my car battery has been f**ked for weeks, as i'm in process of getting it back on the road, this hasn't bothered me at all, as its been sat there doing nothing.

The battery started the car, but if i left the ignition on for a while the battery would go dead.

Due to the cold weather and me not starting the car for a few days, the car won't start at all. So off i went and got a new battery. Put it in, and still wont start.

The car will try to crank over for around a few seconds and will then stop.

Do you think the starter motor has gone or is it the immobiliser? The dash lights come on then go off as usual.

BTW its a 2002 172 Cup

Cheers
Mark

Golf GT TDI
if the car is stopping by its self after about 5 seconds sounds like an immobiliser problem

does the little red immobiliser light go out when cranking it over?

RS Clio 172 Cup
if the car is stopping by its self after about 5 seconds sounds like an immobiliser problem

does the little red immobiliser light go out when cranking it over?

The red light (immobiliser) goes off after 5 seconds of having iginition on.

The engine will crank over and wants to start but after 5 or so seconds, the cranking stops, so therefore something just doesn't want to get it going.

Didn't have this problem before buying new battery, just that old one was ducked, and needed replacing.

Golf GT TDI
make sure terminals are tight and you have fuel getting through

my fuel pump has packed in so having simalar problems

RS Clio 172 Cup
make sure terminals are tight and you have fuel getting through

my fuel pump has packed in so having simalar problems

Yer, i've been reading your thread.

Terminals where tight with copper grease.

Gonna go out now and check the pump.

Seems as when i fix one problem, another appears. Not having much luck at the mo. :(

RS Clio 172 Cup
Right

Fuel pump is working as i can hear it when ignition is on, then goes off after awhile.

Is it normal for the thottle/butterfly unit to buzz when the ignition is on???

When old battery (dead) was on, and when i tried cranking it over, there was a loud clinking noise.

Golf GT TDI
yeh throttle makes a buzzing sound. clicking sound is just because the battery is low (mine did this)

have you tried the 3 fuses on the first page of my thread?

RS Clio 172 Cup
yeh throttle makes a buzzing sound. clicking sound is just because the battery is low (mine did this)

have you tried the 3 fuses on the first page of my thread?

Oh, Cheers

No haven't looked at the 3 fuses yet. Too dark outside. Will probably check another night or weekend. Only wish it was summer, hate these early dark nights.

Might clean the TDC sensor at the weekend to rule that out...

Last edited:
  1.4 16v soon 2 be 172 rep
i can garantee you wen you took your old battery of your immoblizer f'ed up lol, have you tried locking and unlockin your car a few times?

RS Clio 172 Cup
i can garantee you wen you took your old battery of your immoblizer f'ed up lol, have you tried locking and unlockin your car a few times?

Car is locking and unlocking fine, done it many of times. Immobiliser light comes on with ingintion, flashing how it should and goes off after 5 seconds and comes back on once the car is locked.

Just want to eliminate all problems, before spending money on it.

Seems as if there is alot of people having problems starting there cars, and its not all the same problem.