ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
Evening All

Got a bit of an issue with my phase 2 172, the last week or so the car has been playing up and not starting.
When you put the key in the immobiliser continues to flash and the car wont turn over to start, sometimes its fine but more often than not its playing up.

Taken out the battery (which is old), topped up the water with some more deionised water and charged over night.

This afternoon put it back in and it still didnt want to know at all for a while. Then one try and it shorted everything out, took the battery connectors off and it restarted.

Started ok a few times after that, but i dread it coming back.

What could it be?. Key?, immobiliser?, battery?, earthing?. My thought could be a new key.

Just interested to hear what everyone else has experienced.

Cheers Guys
Dave

ph 2 172
split the key housing and check the battery holder is soldered to the circuit board properly on all 4 corners. I was having the same trouble and was worried ££££££ lol. Anyway re-soldered connections on battery holder and voila...

worth a look at the key fob, didnt think of that one.

thinking about a new battery but just want to eliminate everything else first.

ph 2 172
strange, even though the immobiliser light sometimes doesnt go out?

Hence its not the starter motor. It is the immobiliser circuit by sounds of it so check the key first like I said. Its a 30 second job.
No point asking for more ideas if your not gonna try the ones suggested.

ph 2 172
not trying to be rude mate sorry came across wrong......... Too many people scare monger on the site so check the easy stuff first it works for most as the keys are the most likely to break

no problem, had a look at the back of the key. seems ok to me but then i am not great with electrics. will get my mate who is a spark to have a look.
tried the spare key and it does the same so not sure what to do if it doesnt get going.

phoned renault and they were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!.

ph 2 172
search for immobiliser problems through the forums search facility I think through reading these you'll find a few quick fixes that may work ie the process of holding interior locking button in aswell as keyfob button for 10th secs to re configure the keys. Also other possibilities such as receiver ring.

been having a look for the immobiliser problems. got a few idea about fuses and resetting the key with the button down for 10 secs.
will see if i can get my mate to have a look at the back of the key and resolder it if necessary.

dont really want to spend loads of money taking it in to get fixed if its something simple.

keep you posted but thanks for all the help so far :)

does the battery really make that much difference too?

ph 2 172
does the battery really make that much difference too?

yes mate no battery no power.

with mine whenever i pressed unlock button it worked fine as i was preeing the terminals of the battery holder to the board.... unbeknown to me lol.....until i stripped key.

if neither key is working though it makes me wonder.

try these things yourself though mate you dont need to be a rocket scientist.....give it a go.

will pull all the relays out tonight and give them a clean and some wd40. found something about the central locking fuse in the passenger side door so will have a look at that too.
or the tdc sensor might need a clean. looks like a few fun evenings on the cards whatever happens.
just a process of elimination i guess.

right quick update, got my mate to check the chip in the key and the connectors werent great so we (i mean him really) resoldered them and went out to try it.

first few times it kept flashing but unlocked it and locked it a few times. then after that it started :). turned it on and off 4 times and it started everytime. hopefully it will work later.
cheers chrisw 123 :). hopefully thats it sorted.

ph 2 172
hopefully mate......... Check all terminals on battery holder are deffo done on both keys......... Don't want this happening miles from home like happened to me lol

will do, will have a good look in the daylight tommorow. just want to get to work tommorow.

thanks for the help. hopefully thats it.

jumped in the car this morning and guess what.........................................

it didnt start again, just the flashing immobilser light.

so next process i guess is the relays or the tdc sensor followed by new battery. how hard is it for a car to just start ffs!.

ph 2 172
all you have listed above is unlikely to be the cause. It is a problem with the immobiliser circuit if the light is flashing I would bet. Its likely to be either your keyfob, the receiver ring on the ignition barrel or the immobiliser itself which is hard wired into the ecu direct. Would still double check battery and soldering in key again.

Last edited:
Ok doesnt sound good then, also forgot to mention this light has started coming on a bit too, could it be related?. See pic below, not my dash but pointing to the same light.

wtf-1.jpg

decided to change the battery anyway this weekend as its old and couldnt hurt. after one or two tries the car started. just tried to move it this evening and it doesnt want to know.

why cant cars be simple!

cleaned all the relays and tried the reset with the internal lock switch. so looking like the decoder ring or a new key i guess.

renault clio 1.2 16v diam
hi mate i had a similar problem and called the rac out and they fiddled around but it turned out to be a connection problem with the earth lead on the altenater he just wiggled it about a bit and it started no problem and have had no problems since that fingers crossed.:D

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Does the engine management light come on when you first switch the ignition on? Its the one to the right of the light you have indicated. It should come on for few seconds then go out to indicate it has done a system check before starting the engine.

i think it comes on from memory and shortly goes out. still seems a total mystery but for the moment it starts.

renault clio 1.2 16v diam
the light comes on as it does when you start the car as normal but the car doesnt start,try and play about with the earth lead on the alternater and try starting the car ,you might need to put a booster on the battery for a min ,let me know how you get on.