ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB
getting pretty desperate now!

Problem.
when trying to start all i get is a click form the starter solenoid and nothing after.

What iv done so far.
new starter motor fitted (second hand from a working car)
cleaned all battery terminals and starter connections including the earth strap
battery reads 12.6V
starter reads 12.5V when trying to start
battery currently on charge
tried starting off jump leads

none of this has helped

problem started after a few days of very heavy rain this also seemed to set off the interior sensors for the alarm a lot

not really sure where to go from here any help would be brilliant!

Try putting a jump lead from engine to the neg terminal. If that fixes it then you got an earth issue.

If that fails.
Run a test lead from 12v and touch the trigger on the starter solenoid. If it spins then you probably have a problem somewhere on that circuit.

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB
Sorry it's a ph1 172 clio

Yes it does bump start had to do that fir a few days

But I just put the battery back on after being charged and it was at 12.9v and the battery light and stop light have just went on and the solenoid has stopped engaging

PH2 172
Sorry it's a ph1 172 clio

Yes it does bump start had to do that fir a few days

But I just put the battery back on after being charged and it was at 12.9v and the battery light and stop light have just went on and the solenoid has stopped engaging

Have you got this sorted?
Not trying to be funny,you are not the first,and won`t be the last,even did it myself once.Did you get the starter motors mixed up(rolled about in the boot)and refit the original?

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB
Have you got this sorted?
Not trying to be funny,you are not the first,and won`t be the last,even did it myself once.Did you get the starter motors mixed up(rolled about in the boot)and refit the original?
Nope not yet

Haha no that never happens one was at the house off the car and I picked up the other in a different car. Just an update for the starter tested at an auto electrical place and it spins and fires out the gear so must not be the starter but all I'm getting is still a few clicks any ideas?

PH2 172
Nope not yet

Haha no that never happens one was at the house off the car and I picked up the other in a different car. Just an update for the starter tested at an auto electrical place and it spins and fires out the gear so must not be the starter but all I'm getting is still a few clicks any ideas?

I,ve had a starter motor that would not turn the engine over,but spun up once removed.
Did you follow the advice to earth the engine with a jump lead?If so,and it did not work,you could,taking care not to short to ground,take a jump lead from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor pole on the solonoid(not the battery side) to prove the starter motor is OK.
See how you get on with that and report back.

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB
I,ve had a starter motor that would not turn the engine over,but spun up once removed.
Did you follow the advice to earth the engine with a jump lead?If so,and it did not work,you could,taking care not to short to ground,take a jump lead from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor pole on the solonoid(not the battery side) to prove the starter motor is OK.
Cheers Steve I'll give that a go over next week as I'm on holiday ATM and see what happens
Yeh I did try the negative to the block but still nothing

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB

just tried that positive battery to the positive pole on the solenoid and still nothing its not even really offering to fire at all, while i was away my dad took the motor off and took it to a auto electrical guy and it was firing out the spindle and spinning so the motor i think is out of the equation. there's no immobilizer light on the dash ether, the "STOP" and "BATTERY" light seem to come on every now and then when iv been trying to start.

any suggestions?

PH2 172
just tried that positive battery to the positive pole on the solenoid and still nothing its not even really offering to fire at all, while i was away my dad took the motor off and took it to a auto electrical guy and it was firing out the spindle and spinning so the motor i think is out of the equation. there's no immobilizer light on the dash ether, the "STOP" and "BATTERY" light seem to come on every now and then when iv been trying to start.

any suggestions?
Please re-read my message about spinning up off the car but not when refitted.
If you took the jump lead directly from the battery,to the pole I described on the starter motor(NOT the one the battery lead connects to)and the engine and battery are fully earthed,and the engine will not turn,then the starter motor is defective.
Probably worn brushes,or a damaged commutator.

AG 200FF/PH1 172 MB
Please re-read my message about spinning up off the car but not when refitted.
If you took the jump lead directly from the battery,to the pole I described on the starter motor(NOT the one the battery lead connects to)and the engine and battery are fully earthed,and the engine will not turn,then the starter motor is defective.
Probably worn brushes,or a damaged commutator.

tried that again ans still nothing, took apart the multi plug beside the passenger head light the white ECU one that was quiet corroded so cleaned that ans till nothing, ans went theo take the keys out of the ignition and when i did some of the dash lights stayed on along with the clock then they all went out after about 15/20 seconds is that even possible without the key being in the ignition?

PH2 172
tried that again ans still nothing, took apart the multi plug beside the passenger head light the white ECU one that was quiet corroded so cleaned that ans till nothing, ans went theo take the keys out of the ignition and when i did some of the dash lights stayed on along with the clock then they all went out after about 15/20 seconds is that even possible without the key being in the ignition?
If you used WD40 or similar in the multi plug,it is conductive.If the starter motor does not turn when connected directlly to the battery,omitting all other circuits,then it is u/s.

Are you putting 12v to the trigger on the starter solenoid or onto the main positive feed coming down from the battery?
Also which one are you getting 12v out when tying to crank? Both?
Stupid but have you checked all your fuses, inside and outside the car?

If you have a new starter fitted, good battery, it's earthing out properly and you put 12v to the solenoid trigger there is absolutely nothing that will stop it from cranking over.....